Friday, 4 July 2014

Back online after the worst week of my life

I am back from an enforced break due to family issues. Many of you you read my Stacking the Shelves posts or are friends/group members on Goodreads etc will know that my Mum went into hospital in December and was diagnosed with stomach and liver cancer in January. Chemotherapy was attempted in February and March but was halted after three sessions because she was getting too weak to cope with it. A spell in hospital at Easter followed due to a bladder infection, and she was returned to hospital in May with similar problems. I did a blog post about the trauma we went through when she started getting confused and agitated, not knowing where she was or who we were. The doctors said that time was up and Mum shocked them a few days later by coming out of it as if nothing had happened.

Well, three weeks ago my mum was given the all clear to come home. So the hospital started ordering delivery of special hospital bed/table, care workers, panic alarms and a pile of other things. It meant moving my dad's bed and all other furniture down to the living room and him sleeping on the couch until we could get that furniture over to his brothers house for storage. We were concerned during these few days as to our eyes and the eyes of the nurses, she became weaker and started to show signs of the confusion and agitation again. The doctors still wanted to send her home. Once all the equipment was delivered on the Monday, the doctors decided on the Thursday that not only was she not getting home, she was entering the 'end of life' stage. So now we had to arrange the removal of all that equipment on June 23rd. This was complicated by the fact that from the 23rd-27th, we had workmen in to remodel the bathroom. So all the bathroom and kitchen furniture had to be moved to let them in to the water mains and electrical boxes. We had the fun of all this while trying to take shifts at the hospital to sit with my mum in her final days. On the night of the 24th, we were called to the hospital as the end was close. On the night of the 25th she died in hospital. Despite knowing it was coming, my dad, uncle and I were devastated. The funeral was yesterday.

I'm struggling to cope with her death and I still have to tackle the tasks of clearing out clothes and possessions and old photos which I can't face yet but I'll need to get on with it. During this period I've only made two blog posts-book blitz committments that I signed up to. Now I feel I need to try and get back into a routine and re-connect with my friends online who I've neglected recently and start blogging and tweeting again. 

Thank you to all of you who have supported me through all the stages of mum's illness. Thank you to everyone who took the time to send a message of support or said a prayer for us. It has been a comfort to our family.

8 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry about this, my condolences. I wondered if something was happening on this front when I didn't see you around as much; I've been thinking of you. I hope you and all your family find calm and comfort during your grieving process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words and thoughts. It's going to take time for us to deal with it but getting back into a routine seemed important to start with. Thanks for your support x

      Delete
  2. I also wondered if this had sadly happened, as I had noticed you weren't around as much. It's so hard to know what to say, but I am thinking of you and your family at this very hard time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chrissi, I really appreciate your kind thoughts x

      Delete
  3. I was deeply saddened when I read your message. Thinking of you and yours during this difficult time. Sending hugs and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind thoughts-very much appreciated.

      Delete
  4. Oh no, I don't know what to say, but my sincere condolences! I hope you find support in your family, in this difficult time.

    Irene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Irene, my dad and I appreciate all your kind thoughts x

      Delete