Wednesday, 4 June 2014

My Latest Musings #8 My worst ever week


I've decided each week to talk a bit about my previous week and what I enjoyed reading and watching, my plans for the coming week and any news I have. Hopefully that will motivate me to get things done!


This was the week from hell. As most of you will know in January my mum was diagnosed with stomach cancer and she has been in hospital a few times. I've had messages this week from friends wondering why I wasn't online so I decided to use my Musings post to update everything. 

My mum went in to hospital on the 13th May with an infection and soon became confused, disorientated and off the planet. It got worse over the space of a few days until she did not even recognise her family. Last Thursday the doctor said she either had bleeding on the brain, a stroke or the cancer was in her brain and they gave her days to live. That Thursday and Friday were the worst two days of my life, sitting by her bedside sobbing, lying awake at night waiting for a call from the hospital to say she had passed away. My dad and I were suffering, watching her lying in her bed yelling for help with no clue where she was, struggling as if she was being attacked. I can't even describe that experience. It gave me an idea of what the families of dementia sufferers go through and I wouldn't wish that on anybody. When we were away from the hospital we kept phoning to see what was happening, dreading what we might hear. 

Then we phoned the hospital on Sunday morning to be told that she was sitting up talking, eating a little, drinking and her mind in full working order and that the CT scan of her brain showed NOTHING wrong. No cancer, no stroke, no bleeding, no infection. The doctors are baffled, we are baffled but jeez the relief was indescribable. Yes she is still seriously ill with the cancer but I feel as if we have been given her back again. Being able to sit and talk to her as normal again is wonderful and I hope we don't have to go through that nightmare again. Each day since then she has become brighter and more talkative, if a little tired. Her eating isn't anywhere near normal and she is fed up being stuck in bed but she is back to where she was just before she went into hospital.

So, the plan is to get her back home at some point. They want to work on getting us more support at home from medical and social services so we can care for her at home plus they want to get her stronger in herself. It will take weeks but we should get her home again which would be great for all of us. It's amazing the difference a week can make.

Naturally I have got no reading done this week and I had no real interest in doing anything. I'm hoping that I will get that motivation back again. Hopefully things will settle a bit now!

8 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear :( Hope everything gets back on the right track for you and the rest of your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your kind thoughts...the whole family appreciate it very much.

      Delete
  2. Oh heavens! I'm so sorry you all are going through this. I hate when they say they can't find out why things happen. Seems like that is the answer to a lot of troubles these days. Goodness. Hope she recovers and remains as best as she can given the cancer. Thoughts are with you. **Hugs**

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty scary week! She is looking much better and the doctors are planning to let her home in the next few weeks as soon as social care has been arranged to help us. It will be nice to have her home again. Thanks for your kind thoughts Melissa.

      Delete
  3. I've been through similar - for me one of the worst things in the world is your mother not recognising you. We were in hospital numerous times an thought she wouldn't be coming out again. I'm glad to hear she's recovering, I hope a complete recovery happens soon! *hug*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind thoughts Vickie! It was a nightmare but for us it ended after a few days. It makes me think how the families of dementia patients must suffer for weeks, months or years. It doesn't bear thinking about. Hopefully we'll get her home in the next couple of weeks, fingers crossed.

      Delete
  4. So sorry about this! I hope she's feeling much better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How terrifying! I'm so glad that she is going to be able to come home with you! I know things are still tough, but what a relief it must be to be able to communicate with her again. Your whole family is in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete