Saturday, 14 June 2014

Book Review: Monster Proof by Scot McAtee

Tucked in an empty corner of the Great Plains lies Winston Manor, the “Monster Proof” home of one Mr. Winston, a rich old eccentric who believes in all sorts of scary monsters. He also believes they’re out to get him, which is why his spacious mansion has the ultimate home defense system. Nothing can get in because nothing can even reach the building.

Judy Barnes is a young journalist who has managed to wrangle an interview from the old coot. She’s determined to find out just how monster proof Winston Manor really is for reasons that will quickly become apparent, but will it be too late for the old man to see what’s hiding below her Plain Jane appearance?


My Review: 
A rich old man lives in what he claims to be a monster proof house, able to stop attacks from mutant bugs to vampires. Now he agrees to do an interview and demonstration to show people that monsters do exist.

I liked this book. The idea of a monster proof house appeals to a paranoid security conscious horror reader like me. I blame my paranoia on that scene in Salems Lot where the creepy boy is tapping on the darn window...gave me nightmares for weeks! Anyway, this book is very imaginative as the author has fun describing the different defences of the house and garden, and the creatures that he is defending against. There were a few lkie the burrowing tropical bugs that I certainly did not want to meet. I don't know if they are real or made up by the author but either way I don't want to see the blighters!

The hints are there about the journalist in the blurb but I wasn't entirely sure what was coming. When the box is introduced, I sat for ages wondering what was inside it and I kicked myself that I didn't guess! It was a nice twist and something that our rich man really should have thought of. But then again, you can overlook the simple defences when you are expecting the more complex attacks so I liked the plot. I felt it was well thought out and nicely delivered.

I would love to see a longer version set in this brilliant house...maybe a group trying to break in...or break out...! 
star rating photo: 35 star rating 3-5-stars.jpg

1 comment:

  1. You know, I'd forgotten the tapping on the window was from 'Salem's Lot. The mental image still bothers me, but I'd forgotten the source! This sounds like a fun read, anyway!

    ReplyDelete