Saturday, 18 April 2020

Virus Days 4


THURSDAY
I'm TRYING not to get stressed out as it is taking a toll on my health at the moment. My uncle is 70 and has a chronic lung disorder because as a labourer he was exposed to asbestos. The doctor told him to self isolate as he is in the vulnerable group but he has been going out daily to the shops to get a newspaper, alcohol, and various food items. He doesn't wear a mask or gloves though he is washing his hands but we have no idea if he has caught the virus as he always has a hacking cough, and has breathing issues some days.

Today he said he needed urgent supplies. I'm ok with popping into our local shop which has strict contact and social distancing rules, wearing my mask and gloves, to get him essentials on days he isn't feeling great. But I was mad when all he wanted was cider. That is not an essential item and I just REFUSE to risk my health so he can guzzle alcohol!!! 

I planned for a pandemic-getting in masks and gloves, ensuring my cupboards, fridge and freezer were full etc so we wouldn't have to go out much, be safe indoors with all we needed and have spare for my uncle. But twice in a week, my dad was pulled from the house to get alcohol for my uncle. I'm so stressed. My efforts to keep us safe may have been useless.

FRIDAY
I'm getting so sick of the celebrities whining about their isolation woes. Ellen comparing her mansion to prison. Meghan whining that her mummy can't spend time with Archie (just like ALL Harry's family can't see Archie!!!). Singing celebs led by Wonder Woman doing an 'Imagine' rendition-seeing them singing 'imagine there's no heaven' when people are dying around the world, and 'imagine no possesions' when they are in their multi million mansions really got on my goat! Others whining about being so bored-well get out and volunteer then! A poor seven year old boy has lost his mum and gran to the virus with his dad critically ill. That is real tragedy, not these inflated egos being bored in their mansions and not getting the attention they want. These celebrities need to stop bloody bleating about their problems and get a dose of the real world. Ordinary people are suffering real hardship yet doing amazing things. 

SATURDAY
My dad and I are now in a total lockdown. My uncle called today. He has flu symptoms and lost his sense of smell. He thinks he might have the virus though there are no breathing issues other than the usual and he doesn't have a temperature. It could be a sinus infection. Maybe. He first felt unwell on Thursday. My stress level hit critical and all I can think of is that Easter trip to Aldi in the car last Saturday. OK so my dad was wearing gloves and a mask and I insisted my uncle wore a mask, then I cleaned the inside of the car where my uncle was sitting, but I can't stop fretting about it. 

Let's now assume that he does have it. Most of what I read suggests that the infected person can be contagious for three days before they show symptoms so if that were true, my uncle became contagious AFTER the Easter weekend, somewhere around Monday. However he might have caught it up to fourteen days before showing symptoms. If he was infectious last Saturday, a week has passed with no sign of my dad and I being ill but another seven days in the house might be a good idea to be sure. If we get through another week without being ill, I'd feel a lot better about the health of my dad. We'll be checking in several times daily with my uncle to see how he is and if he needs a doctor. 

The Hit Parade of Morons has to be Thursday's Clap for Carers debacle where the emergency services stood on a London Bridge to do their clapping, only to be swamped with a pile of members of the public, eager to be seen on social media clapping and getting self publicity, and instead causing a massive health hazard that could damage the very cause they are clapping to support! I used to work in the NHS and I support our essential workers every day from my home by following the rules. I don't need to stand outside every Thursday, showing off to everyone else that I care. Some people are genuine in their applause each week and follow it up by social distancing, isolating and only going out on essential business-I'm NOT having a go at these people. I have it in for the self obsessed covidiots who are doing it only to show how great and caring they are to get a few more likes online-like some of the idiots in this video.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1270597/UK-coronavirus-latest-Cressida-Dick-social-distancing-Westminster-Bridge-police  

A big shout out to former military hero Captain Tom Moore, 99 years old and who did 100 laps of his 25 metre garden to raise money for the NHS. He has now decided to keep doing the laps with his zimmer as long as the money keeps rolling in. His initial fundraising target was £1000. When his fundraising website crashed today, the total was over £21 000 000. This man is my hero in every way. 
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1269843/captain-tom-moore-knight-knightood-petition-coronavirus-news-captain-tom-moore-nhs

I'm going to have to sign off for now. I'm so stressed today that I can't concentrate. Wherever you are, whatever you are doing, try to stay safe and look after yourselves.

16 comments:

  1. Fingers crossed your uncle doesn't have the virus and just has a minor (routine) cold/flu/sinus infection and with luck it'll scare him enough to finally be sensible!

    Tom Moore is awesome! What a gent and it's a crazy amount of money for him to have raised.

    Take care Chuckles and try to lose yourself in a book or good movie for a few hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't seem to work, trying to introduce him to common sense. Now he wants to go and put a cheque in the bank and for my dad to drive him. I'm going mad-we're TRYING to isolate!!!

      I did finish The Prisoner of Azkaban and am 200 pages into The Goblet of Fire!

      Delete
  2. Hope your uncle's okay. And that you and your dad are, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry your so stressed out right now but I can completely understand why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've ever experienced stress like it-it's grinding me down a bit every day. I'm trying to control it but not doing very well some days. But I'm not alone in that-we're all struggling to cope mentally with everything going on. Take care Mary.

      Delete
  4. I read about Captain Tom Moore. What a sweet story and a useful one at that. I have very little sympathy for all the whining I'm hearing from celebrities - especially those with no children or people they have to care for. Granted I'm an introvert so I'm pretty good with staying home and my income isn't affected but of course neither is theirs.
    I hope your dad and uncle are both okay and hopefully this will scare your uncle enough to finally stay home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My uncle doesn't feel up to going out but we are getting daily calls to go and get stuff or go places for him, and few are essential!

      The whining celebs in their mansions with pools, wailing about it being hard need a kick up the bum!!!

      Delete
  5. I'm so sorry Chuckles. This is such a stressful situation for everyone. I keep seeing people putting themselves in harms way for dumb reasons and it makes me crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't deal well with stress, I really don't. It sort of overwhelms me and leaves me feeling sick for a few days. I hate that. I'm trying to control it but this pandemic is really testing us all!

      Delete
  6. I am so sorry to hear about your uncle and hope he stays healthy. I can totally understand your frustrations. It is maddening when family members do things we know they shouldn't! Sending lots of good vibes and prayers your way. And yeah- some of that celebrity nonsense. Pshhh next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think these celebs are wailing because people are too busy with their own problems to pay attention to them! Listening to Harry and Meghan whine about lockdown being hard makes me grind my teeth when people are dying!

      Delete
  7. I am so sorry that you are having to deal with your uncle who doesn't seem to get with the stay at home program. I really wish that everyone would realize that staying home isn't all that bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I can't stop my uncle risking his health but I wish he'd leave my dad out of it! Hearing so many people are bored has me shaking my head. We have electricity so full access to TV, DVDs, services like Netflix, game consoles, phones, internet, books...imagine how they'd go if an EMP took the power away!

      Delete