FRIDAY
So much for the relaxing Easter weekend. It started on Friday night when my uncle phoned my dad to say that he wanted to go to Aldi on Saturday-for beer, mainly. There are six pretty good reasons for this inflating my blood pressure.
-my uncle has a terminal lung condition and was ordered to stay indoors but goes out daily to get a newspaper so who knows if he's infected or not
-my dad and I have asthma and are self isolating to stay safe
-since lockdown, queues at supermarkets are around the car parks with three hour waits in some places in the UK
-we asked him earlier this week if he needed supplies and he said no
-it's the Easter weekend!!!
-going out to a supermarket for beer is not really an essential trip
SATURDAY
My dad tried to tell him all this and he wasn't for listening so my dad in his gloves and mask took him to Aldi. My uncle reacted with surprise to see the massive queue and decided just to go to his local shop instead. My dad tried to drum it into him to get BAGS of stuff as we aren't breaking lockdown again but he only bought a few tins and a bit of ham. MAN!!!!! GET WITH THE PROGRAMME!!!!! He was then talking about going to buy a car on Monday and it took ages for my dad to get him to understand that lockdown means all non essential places like used car dealers are CLOSED because of the pandemic! I could scream, I really could.
SUNDAY
Boris Johnson is now recovering at home which is good news. It's a relief to have our leader out of hospital although he'll be resting for a while. His pregnant fiancee' seems to be doing well too. My hand wound is healing and there is no sign of infection thankfully. I went to make one of our favourite meals-tuna pasta bake-and screamed in horror when I realised that I am totally OUT of the jars of pasta bake sauce! NOOOOO!!! I can't get near a supermarket without queuing for hours and y'know, disease. I need my Pasta Bake sauce!!! Sounds like I might have to try for a delivery slot for the supermarket. Groan!!!
Developed a cough that mostly comes along at night when I'm trying to get to sleep so I'm having to sleep sitting up. This is common when I get colds and minor infections so I'm not really worried. IBS symptoms are playing havoc too.
MONDAY
With all of the panic buying still going on and queues at all our local supermarkets, I decided to think about the stuff that would be on my normal supermarket list and try to track it down online if I can, depending also on price. I was able to get pasta sauces, an order of meat and fish from a company down in Lancashire and packet mashed potato. No pasta bake sauce though or Old El Paso. Grr. It was a bit weird that when I looked up 'garlic bread' in the search thing, Amazon suggested condoms as an option. Yeah dead useful to eat!
I decided that I would sit up through the night to snag one of the delivery slots on the supermarket website as soon as the next available day was posted for selection. This morning I'm totally knackered but was able to get a slot for next week. This will allow me to fill up the freezer with the stuff I've used up in lockdown already and give stuff to my uncle. I shouldn't need another delivery for maybe two months. I just hope most of it is available and I don't get dumb substitute items I can't use. My dad and I have decided that even after things go back to normal, we'll get an ASDA delivery every few weeks for things like 2 litre bottles, tinned food, jars, all the heavy stuff we can't get at Aldi. We both hate shopping so this will be good.
TUESDAY
Ugh, no sleep and a big pile of ironing to do is not what I wanted to see this morning! Also on the down side one of our neighbours was taken away by ambulance today and she was in a chair and on oxygen. I don't know the family personally but I hope she doesn't have the virus as she looked dreadful. It sort of gives you a jolt to see that.
I hope everyone is staying safe out there.

My weekly trips to the grocery store haven't been quite as traumatic as yours sounds. I'm sorry you had such a bad weekend. Hopefully the rest of the week will get better. :)
ReplyDeleteOur local shop has three aisles which take seconds to walk along so it's easy to get in, grab what you need and get back out quick. Supermarkets are out of bounds to me for many months to come! I'm switching over to home delivery from now on...
DeleteI'm sorry to hear your uncle has lung cancer. My dad doesn't really understand the lockdown either and has been going to the store for candy. I keep telling him to stay home but he won't.
ReplyDeleteHe has that lung condition caused by asbestos...I don't know a lot about it but he always has a hacking cough and is out of breath a lot. It makes to hard to decide if he has this virus or not which adds stress. Thanks for thinking of my family-my thoughts will always be with yours. x
DeleteGlad to "hear" from you and I am glad you guys remain safe so far. I'm glad Boris was released as well. I just got off the phone with one of my good friends who is a Trump supporter who was headed into the territory of wishing bad things on Democrats. I had to end that conversation. There's a reason I don't talk politics. By the way, I'm not a Trump fan but I think you know that by now :)
ReplyDeleteSo, I think you're Uncle needs a swift kick to his bottom. It's one thing to endanger yourself with bad decisions but to endanger your family because of your bad decisions.
Cass and Apollo are sending you puppy kisses. Stay safe!
What is wrong with these idiots? Why are people wishing harm on others based on their political views? All this 'Boris must die' 'serves him right' crap means I'll never ever vote Labour again, which I did do most of my life. All the bile coming from their supporters just sickened me. Trumps's press conferences always leave me feeling like I'm in the Twilight Zone!
DeleteI could strangle my uncle at times. He doesn't get that isolation for me and my dad means going out as little as possible. Now he thinks he has the virus and I'm mad. I love him to bits but GRRRR! I am gratefully accepting the puppy kisses! Give them a hug from me!
Definitely frustrating about your uncle. Hopefully now that you've convinced him that car shopping isn't really a thing right now and he's seen the crowds at the grocery stores he'll have a little more understanding. Glad your hand is feeling better but sorry about the pasta bake sauce. I hope your neighbor is okay and your cough gets better.
ReplyDeleteHe just doesn't pay attention. He didn't know there were crowds panic buying because he won't watch the bloody news and has no clue why we don't want to break isolation except for vital things. NOW he's worried he has it but really, none of us know for sure.
DeleteI'm hoping the pasta bake sauce will come on Tuesday! I want to eat it so bad...
I have a chronic cough from acid reflux and I always have to think - is this a new cough or the same cough lol
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry at how so many of my friends and family have long lines or limited supplies. We are low on some itmes but for the most part have everything and can easily go in and out of the store with no problems. Very few people too. Like under 20 - sometimes only 10. But I live in a low population area.
Karen @ For What It's Worth
My dad suffers from acid reflux so he sends his sympathy! He seems to get it if he eats after 7pm and always as he is falling asleep. It drives him mad. We need to find new things to try and stop it so any suggestions are helpful.
DeleteOur local shop is quite calm-no panic buying and social distancing is observed. But there are queues and continued panic buying at all the supermarkets so we'll be avoiding them for months!
I really hate that there are so many people not taking this pandemic seriously. My parents included. My dad has problems with his blood pressure, but he's been playing golf like it's no big deal. My mom keeps asking me when we're going to visit, and I'm like, WE'RE NOT. THERE'S A PANDEMIC. It makes me crazy.
ReplyDeleteLindsi @ Do You Dog-ear? 😷💬
I have real sympathy Lindsi. Your parents sound like my uncle. He just hasn't got that this is serious. I guess different areas have different rules for what is or isn't open? Man, we can't pick our relatives can we!!!
DeleteMrs B has crohn's, so we sympathize with your ibs acting up. Sometimes it just sucks to be alive, doesn't it?
ReplyDeleteGlad to see you're still writing a little bit :-)
Bookstooge
I hate those 'wake up, feel ok, go downstairs, race upstairs five minutes later for nasty toilet visit, days! Ugh! I really need to get a few book reviews written and posted-maybe try and get one or two done this week. I haven't read too much this last month so only have about six to catch up with!
DeleteIt can be so frustrating to deal with those who don't seem to understand the need to stay home. I have been getting my mom's groceries and she wants such specific things and they just are not available. I hope that you can talk some sense into your uncle. Take care!
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like a few of us are getting frustrated with family members during this crisis. Why are people not understanding what is going on???!!! Oh my uncle is now confined to house now that he thinks he might have the virus. I could scream, I really could.
DeleteBefore all this chaos, I always got my food shopping delivered, I rarely went into a supermarket in person... We've been doing this for close to two years so not being able to so this NOW because of the current cluster of the world infuriates me and stresses me out. I managed to snag a slot for next week though so that was good. I'd run out of a lot of things but was being stubborn on actually going to the supermarket... I don't want to queue and deal with the idiots.
ReplyDeleteI understand your frustration with your uncle too... Too many people just don't seem to get it. You can only do your best, Chuckles!
I hate going out for shopping as it's tiring and stressful. Getting these deliveries to the house has made life a lot easier and we intend to keep getting most stuff delivered after the pandemic. I just wish Aldi would deliver the messages but I'll make do with Asda for now! I've got a booking for the 11th for a delivery so that will be for bottles and a few essentials forboth households.
Delete