I'm a huge Harry Potter fan-the books and the films but of course there can be quite a difference between the two. Some good stuff was cut for time purposes or several characters cut out and their words or actions given to another. Today I'm looking at my favourite bits in the books that either never made it to the films or were changed.
1) The Philosopher's Stone
Firstly, Peeves. Rik Mayall would have been so brilliant and it would've been fun to have him tormenting Harry and friends on their midnight jaunts. His scenes were cut and I'd love to see it. I liked the nighttime adventures for The Midnight Duel and helping Charlie's friends get Norbert out. Sadly it was cut down a lot for the film. I LOVED the Norbert parts of the books, where he was attacking Ron and Hagrid as they tried to rear him. I wanted to see more of that. It would've been nice to see Dean, Seamus and Neville in a few more scenes, especially a Potions class so we could have more Snape! Also Neville at the Quidditch match getting into a fight with Crabbe and Goyle. I wanted to see that.
2) The Chamber of Secrets
Lockhart was a great addition to the books. I enjoyed all the scenes where he would pop up and lecture Harry about fame and signed photos. I really wanted to see that bit where the singing Valentine mortified Harry! That would've been really funny! I'd also have enjoyed seeing the bit in Diagon Alley where Arthur attacks Lucius in the bookstore. That was great.
3) The Prisoner of Azkaban
In the deleted scenes on the dvd we get that bit with Sirius scaring Ron in the middle of the night and Minerva letting rip at Neville's stupidity in leaving the passwords out, but I wanted it in the film. Malfoy and his friends pretending to be Dementors at the Quidditch match was pretty funny and that would be good to have seen. And of course Snape losing the plot when he discovers Sirius has escaped. I loved that on the audio cd!
4) The Goblet of Fire
What disappointed me most in this film was the mess made of the third task. Spooky wind in the Maze was pathetic compared to the creatures roaming inside it in the book. I so wanted to see Hagrid's blast ended skrewts in a lesson attacking the students and then in the Maze. I liked what the film did with the return of Voldemort but the ending after that was a bit crap. Where was Barty Crouch Jr being killed by Dementors and Dumbledore restarting the Order and getting things started? I'd have loved seeing the Weasleys collecting Harry, and Dudley's extended tongue episode! A bit more of the World Cup would have been nice. I preferred Mr Crouch's death scene in the book, wanted to see more of Sirius getting in touch, Dobby and the nifflers. I also really wanted Harry's midnight adventure with the confrontation between Snape and Moody included.
5) The Order of the Phoenix
I wasn't impressed by the aftermath of the Dementor attack-where was the fun of the 'Ruddy Owls!' as each letter arrived and Aunt Petunia talking about Azkaban? Mrs Black and more of the Order business might've been nice. I wanted to see more of the evil side of Dolores-her people attacking Hagrid and Minerva, interrogating more teachers, and the teachers rebelling against her along with the students. I wanted more Neville-St Mungos with his family, his erupting plant and when he attacks Malfoy. I wanted more about what Harry sees in Voldemort's mind, The Quibbler interview, the dreadful date with Cho, Cho's friend betraying them and the SNEAK moment. I also wanted a better version of Arthur being attacked by the snake. It was pretty lacklustre.
6) The Half Blood Prince
I'd have preferred seeing Dumbledore take the Dursleys to task than Harry in the film arranging a date with a muggle when he is meant to love Ginny! Arthur and Molly doing their security question in front of Harry was funny. Harry telling Romilda on the train that Luna and Neville were his friends was nice. A few laughs like Harry getting detention for cheeking Snape and levitating Ron were fun. The main thing for me was The DA and Order fighting Death Eaters at Hogwarts-I was annoyed that it was cut from the film. Extending Slughorn's party especially the vampire would be nice too as would be Harry teling the Order that Snape killed Dumbledore.
7) The Deathly Hallows
I liked Harry and Dudley parting as friends-just a pity Aunt Petunia didn't say something about Lily to him. I preferred the escape from Privet Drive and rendezvous at the Burrow better in the book. For the film I wish they'd cut that stupid scene with Harry and Hermione dancing and nearly kissing-it never happened and never would happen!!!
-Dudley and Harry say goodbye

I love how much of a fan you are for this series. I loved the books but unfortunately haven't seen the movies enough to know what wasn't included. Great post!
ReplyDeleteI live and breathe Harry Potter, Buffy and Game of Thrones!!! It was fun to have an excuse to write about Harry again!
DeleteI only ever saw the first three of these movies, because I loved the books so much I had a hard time watching them be not quite right on the big screen.
ReplyDeleteFilms four and five were the lesser of the films for me. Bits of the Goblet of Fire were good but the Maze task was dreadful! Too much was missed out of Order of the Phoenix for my liking. I did love the first three and last three films though!
DeleteI read the books when they first came out but I'm awful at remembering details like that.
ReplyDeleteKaren @ For What It's Worth
I've just read them so often and watched the films so often that they are imprinted on my brain!
Delete