Wednesday, 23 December 2020

Winter Blues #3

 

Hi again from Dave and family.
Mum probably has Norovirus, according to the local pharmacist and she isn't delighted by the news. It is doing the rounds in our area and this could be an issue for making Christmas dinner. She is being confined to bed as of this afternoon, isn't allowed to cook for me or Grandpa, has to clean every surface she touches, and has a list of things she can't eat-dairy, salt, sugar, citrus etc. She's not happy at having no Pringles, cheese or chocolate! This could put the cobblers on Christmas dinner, which is annoying. But she intends to cheer herself up watching the latest series of The Great British Bake Off, Masterchef The Professionals and Coronation Street from 1992. I'm hoping for a bit of reading but lets not get too optimistic!
 
We got a bit of good news last night though. The guy that is doing our fence came round. He's had a cancellation and hopes to get our fences done in the next four weeks. Yes! Getting that done will be great AND he is going to come back a few weeks later to varnish all of it so Mum doesn't have to do it! She's very pleased about that! Scott says the firms providing wood have hiked the prices so high that customers are cancelling and he offered us the slot, and we're taking it. We reckon the prices will stay high for a couple of years anyway so we said we'd take it! On the down side, both our security lights are broken, front and back, and we can't get someone out to fix them. Some bugger came through the garden last night. He didn't find anything to steal and with it being so dark and the fence in bits everywhere, he's lucky he didn't fall and break his neck! What a pity... 
 
The Scottish Government Leader Nicola Sturgeon has spent the pandemic telling everyone to wear masks and follow harsh rules to keep everyone safe, and demanding the resignation of anyone in politics who breaks the rules SHE set out. Well guess who is on the front page of the newspapers today at an indoor funeral event in a pub, not wearing a mask and standing chatting to a group of pensioners sitting at a table near her. Nooo, Nicola, that isn't allowed under the rules of your own Tier system! "Table service and the wearing of face-coverings (unless exempt) when not seated by all customers is mandatory in all hospitality venues." Oh deary deary me! Yet again, the rules are for us plebs and not for politicians it seems. Especially as she says "Follow all the rules that are in place. Wear face coverings..."
 
And the Muppet we call Tony Blair is back out of his box, bleating about being able to run the vaccination distribution better than the government. Here is the newspaper quote "Mr Blair agreed he felt frustrated with the Government's handling of the pandemic so far and did not straight out dismiss the possibility of seeking a more prominent role in the roll-out of the vaccination programme. The former Labour leader said: "I don't know whether I should be back there running this." Well Mr Blair, I can tell you that answer is NO. Your failed policies caused a lot of the problems we now face and you are not a Conservative Government Minister. You are not even an MP, as you quit in a sulk when you lost the top job of PM to Gordon Brown, rather than continue in the job to serve the people who elected you, as Theresa May at least did. And he spent years trying to overturn a legal UK referendum result because it didn't suit him. Cretin. Actually, I must say sorry for upsetting and insulting muppets...I can't believe Mum and Grandpa voted for this total arse. (Mum: Neither can we Dave!)
 
Sorry about the political rants this time but we're feeling a bit grumpy today. Stay safe everyone  until next time! 
 
Dave


14 comments:

  1. Sorry you've been so sick! 2020 strikes again. More icing on the crap cake. Hope you manage to have a Happy Christmas anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This year has certainly been one to forget! I'll be spending tomorrow in my bed for sure but we have a food delivery on Sunday which I don't have the energy for!

      Delete
  2. I think we're all a tad grumpy this year, but chin up . . . 2021 has to be better, right? Then again, we go back into lockdown tomorrow for at least 28 days, so it looks like the spa vacation for my beloved's birthday is off, so maybe 2022 will be our year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll be in lockdown until about Easter I think! This new strain or two is going to cause chaos and most of us won't get a vaccine until the summer so I better get used to staying home! 2022 hopefully will be our year!

      Delete
  3. Oh nooooo, my husband and I had a norovirus a couple years ago and it kicked our butts... I hope your mom feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly kicking mine! All I seem able to take is water which is not a lot of fun when you're hungry.

      Dave: Told Mum to get back to bed but she says housework stops for nobody...

      Delete
  4. Norovirus, oh man, that is not fun. I had that 2 years ago about this time and was on a diet of bananas, rice, applesauce and dry toast for almost 4 weeks.
    Hope you recover quicker than that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't even stomach toast or soup...it's driving me mad. I might try the apple sauce though as I have a jar of that in the fridge. It's been a week and I hope it is gone soon-four weeks of this would be a nightmare!!!

      Delete
  5. I hope that you are feeling better very soon, Chuckles! That is great news about the fence. We were supposed to have a fence installed in December but it has been pushed back to January. The world is a frustrating place right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fence was the only bit of good news we had. It's been hellish for Scott to get wood for the jobs he has planned with all that profiteering going on. Everyone seems to have high hopes for next year but I think it'll be 2022 before things get back to some kind of normal.

      Delete
  6. Sorry to hear you are not well, I hope you make a quick recovery and get back to the Pringles and chocolate! Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so hungry! I'm craving a Terry's chocolate orange and some after eight mints but even soup or toast sends me running to the loo!

      Delete
  7. Ah, sorry to hear about the norovirus! That's brutal... Hopefully you're feeling a bit better?
    Good news on the fence though! And the Sturgeon headlines made me laugh... I really can't stand that woman so any missteps make me so happy. (petty, I know, but true, lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have to take delight in her misfortune as being petty is fun! I'm back to normal now and just getting into normal eating again!

      Delete