It's been a rotten year for most of us and I don't want to dwell on the Covid 19 death toll in this post and depress everyone even more. Instead I want to take a look at the more lighthearted miseries of this year.
1) Closed Charity Shops
Clearing out the house became very difficult when the charity shops were closed most of the year! I always donate books, cds, dvds, clothes and other things to them wherever possible and now my house is full of bags of stuff waiting to get taken away!
2) Ripping Up Delivery Boxes
Our paper bin gets collected monthly and with tons of deliveries all year, you get a lot of big cardboard boxes. With the rubbish dump in town not available, to fit all the boxes in the bin we had to rip it all up into small pieces every time. My hands were aching on a daily basis!
3) Jimmy Krankie TV
I'm no fan of Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon so seeing her on TV daily, bashing the UK government, blaming England for everything, accusing English health boards of stealing masks/equipment from Scotland, banning English visitors etc drove me bloody crazy.
4) The Never Ending US Election
I enjoy US politics and Election Night but even I had a gutful of the carry on this year. UK hating Sleepy Joe vs The Donald in full flow did start to get on my nerves after days of endless counting and accusations of voter fraud and cheating all over the place.
5) The Fence
The virus locked everything down most of the year in my area and that included timber yards and DIY places for a fair bit of time. It meant waiting a long time to hear from Scott who was doing our new fences. He had a nightmare with rising prices and lack of supply for wood!
6) Absent GP
My regular GP took early retirement just before the pandemic and the new GP is only doing phone calls. It hasn't stopped her messing about with my medication and giving me the runaround all summer. WHY mess with medication during a global pandemic???
7) Blogger
At a time when internet contact between bloggers is vital, Blogger decides to mess us about, drive us crazy with unwanted changes and turn blogging into a time consuming chore. What is up with that crap? At times I just want to stop blogging with all their carry on!
8) The Reading Slump From Hell
All the stress and panic about staying away from the virus has led to the worst reading slump I've ever had. Concentration is gone, the will to read has been sporadic, and even re-reads of Harry Potter are taking ages to get through. I hope for better next year.
9) ASDA Delivery Day
Yes it beats going out to the supermarket but the ordering is stressful when the site is having a go-slow, you get subs you never asked for and I end up knackered dragging bags to the kitchen and trying to find somewhere to put it in our tiny kitchen!
10) The Simple Things I Miss
I miss browsing charity shops, going to the shopping mall for a walk round the shops, getting takeaway food, taking excess rubbish to the dump without two hour queues, a drive down the coast, a short holiday in Blackpool, reading for fun...how I wish for normal!

A lot of things did suck this year! I'm glad 2020 is ending. And I hope 2021 ends up being a lot better. Fingers crossed. :)
ReplyDeleteyep, so many things besides Covid screwed us the year over.
ReplyDeleteI miss random shopping so much - especially used bookstores. There's something about wandering through the used bookstores that can't be replicated with online shopping. How frustrating about your GP! And definitely weird she's messing with your medicines when you can't actually get an appointment with her.
ReplyDeleteI agree, of all years for Blogger to pull its crap. And the US election - man it WORE ME OUT. And it's like I'm in a time loop because it's still the same stuff everyday. Inauguration day can't arrive soon enough!
ReplyDeleteI didn't really think about it before but this was a terrible time for blogger to decide to mess everything up! I am so tired of the election stuff. It is exhausting!
ReplyDeleteI miss all the simple things too and your Sturgeon comments are spot on! She gets right on my nerves.
ReplyDeleteI'm so lucky that my husband has big compost bins for his veggie garden and that brown cardboard can get put in there so it doesn't clog up the recycle bin. Amazon boxes are perfect as long as I pull the tape & stickers off. :)