Tuesday, 8 January 2019

Top Ten Tuesday-Books I Want To Read In January

Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.  http://www.thatartsyreadergirl.com/top-ten-tuesday/

NB: I don't follow or leave comments on blogs run by Google Plus, or DISQUS as I refuse to join something just to leave comments, and I won't allow them to follow new people, update my profile or post tweets 'on my behalf'. I won't comment on any blog that makes me sign in using another account. 

I haven't looked at what books are coming out this year yet so for the moment I'm switching topic to books I plan to read in January.

1) A American-Going Home
This apocalypse series has been on my shelves for a long time and it gets mixed reviews so it is time to take the plunge and read it!

2) George RR Martin-A Dance With Dragons
I have already finished this one and given it 5 stars! It makes me want to read The Winds of Winter so bad!

3) Saul Tanpepper-Gameland
Gritty zombie drama that kept me entertained enough and I gave it three stars. My one annoyance is the way the characters refuse to listen to each other!

4) CJ Tudor-The Chalk Man
This book has got very mixed reviews from my blogger pals. There seems to be a Stephen King's It vibe from it which interests me.

5) Bobby Akart-The Loyal Nine
I have a big pile of books by this author on my e-reader Maurice and I need to find out if I like his work or not. The answer was NOT!

6) Joelle Charbonneau-The Testing trilogy
I loved the first book The Testing and I plan to re-read it and then finish the trilogy. I did that last night and really enjoyed the three books!

7) Lee Murray-Into The Mist
In February my World Reads Challenge takes me to New Zealand so I want to read this book and the sequel if I can get it in time!

8) Lady Colin Campbell-The Royal Marriages
I've finished this fascinating look behing the scenes of Royal Marriages such as George VI and The Queen Mother, Elizabeth and Phillip, Charles and Diana, Anne and her two husbands and Andrew and Sarah. I'm doing this one for my Royal Reading Challenge.

9) Annie Berdel-Alpha Farm
I like the idea of women taking the lead in the apocalypse though calling the series Prepper Chicks is offputting. Mixed reviews so I want to get to it this month.

10) Diana E Anderson-The Farm
Reviewers haven't liked a supposed liberal hating vibe from this apocalypse book so I'll see what I think of it.

20 comments:

  1. I like that you narrowed the scope here. I think it would take me the entire month of Jan to read Martin book. His books are huge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I started it in the last week of December! Mind you I got through it in 4 days which is much quicker than normal!

      Delete
  2. I still haven't read any of Martin's books. I was hoping Santa would bring me some. Alas, no luck. Into The Mist was fun so I hope to start the next in the series soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm anxiously waiting for The Winds of Winter but even if we get it this year, it could be ten years for the next one! I hope to start Into the Mist maybe next week. I also need to get to The Chalk Man as I've seen such mixed reviews from my friends!

      Delete
  3. I'm so anxious to see what you think of The Chalk Man. I really hope you love it. Even though I didn't, I don't wish my friends bad reading experiences :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's because you're a nice person Barb! I know what you mean though. I always hope people enjoy the reads that I didn't. And when someone decides not to read a book based on my review I feel guilty!

      Delete
  4. The Chalk Man is on my TBR. It looks really creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha every time I look back at A Dance with Dragons, or look at theories online, I am reminded that I NEED The Winds of Winter lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad and I endlessly debate the possible endings, disect the prophecies and we are planning a rewatch soon! I just wish The Winds of Winter would get released. I want to read it now!

      Delete
  6. I'll be interested to see what you think of Chalk Man. The author has a new title coming out that is piquing my interest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That will be one of my next reads! It sounds a bit like Stephen King's It but I'm trying not to get my hopes up!

      Delete
  7. oh yay for the The Chalk Man! Looking forward to your review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Review will be at the end of this month or February, depending on how quick I clear the backlog of reviews!

      Delete
  8. Now the commenters have me wondering about The Chalk Man. I'll be looking for that review. :-)
    sherry @ fundinmental My TT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Chalk Man has very mixed reviews on the blogs I visit which is why I'm making it priority this month. It'll be next month before a review comes along though.

      Delete
  9. I do wonder if he'll EVER finish The Winds of Winter... Every year is *the* year and - to be honest - I'm refusing to read the books until it is out.

    I love the TV show though and I'm really curious about the books to see whether they represent the books well or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we'll get TWOW but it's the last book I'm really worried about! The books have been so good I just want the rest of the series out!

      Delete
  10. I think I just commented on another of your blog posts... but I'll say it again, I cant wait to see what you think of Chalk Man! That was definitely one that people either loved or hated. I hope you have fun reading it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I'm liking it but we'll see how it goes!

      Delete