Tuesday, 15 January 2019

Book Review: Kitty's Greatest Hits by Carrie Vaughn


Kitty Norville, star of a New York Times bestselling series, is everybody’s favorite werewolf DJ and out-of-the-closet supernatural creature. Over the course of eight books she’s fought evil vampires, were-creatures, and some serious black magic. She’s done it all with a sharp wit and the help of a memorable cast of werewolf hunters, psychics, and if-notgood- then-neutral vampires by her side. Kitty’s Greatest Hits not only gives readers some of Kitty’s further adventures, it offers longtime fans a window into the origins of some of their favorite characters.

In “Conquistador de la Noche,” we learn the origin story of Denver’s Master vampire, Rick; with “Wild Ride,” we find out how Kitty’s friend T.J. became a werewolf; and in “Life is the Teacher,” we revisit Emma, the human-turned-unwilling-vampire who serves the aloof vampire Master of Washington, D.C.

This entertaining collection includes two brand-new works: “You’re On the Air,” about one of Kitty’s callers after he hangs up the phone; and the eagerly awaited “Long Time Waiting,” the novella that finally reveals just what happened to Cormac in prison, something every Kitty fan wants to know.


My Review: 
As I always do with anthologies, I'll just be listing a brief outline of the plot of each story and what I thought of it.

1) Il Est Ne
Having been exiled from her Pack, Kitty's lonely Christmas at a Colorado diner turns into the hunt for a rogue wolf killer. 4 star.

2) Princess of Spain
Catherine of Aragon is concerned about the strange woman who is visiting the bedchamber of Prince Arthur and making him sick. Nice Tudor story. 4 star. 

3) Conquistador de la Noche
Ricardo is fighting for Coronado and more riches when his old friend Diego lures him to a meeting that will forever change his life. Rick's origin story. 3 star.

4) The Book of Daniel
Daniel's days as advisor to the King of Persia are numbered when he is thrown into the lions. Not sure what this had to do with anything Kitty and why it was written. 2 star.

5) The Temptation of Robin Green
Robin falls in love with a selkie and decides to risk everything to release him from his cell at a supernatural research facility where Rick is also a prisoner. 2 star. 

6) Looking After Family
When Cormac's dad is killed by a werewolf, he goes to live with Ben's family and Ben is soon dragged into werewolf hunting. Nice to get Cormac and Ben's story. 4 star.

7) God's Creatures
Cormac is hired to kill a rogue wolf that is losing control, tracking it to a Catholic Girl's school where the wolf is getting assistance. Hunting with Cormac! 4 star.

8) Wild Ride
TJ gets the news that he is HIV positive but a chance encounter with a werewolf at a race track offers him the chance of a new life. Loved seeing TJ's back story! 4 star.

9) Winnowing the Herd
Kitty is at a vegan buffet hosted by Ozzie at the radio station where a grumpy Kitty considers eating her co-workers. Dumb story. 2 star.

10) Kitty and the Mosh Pit of the Damned
Kitty is watching a popular band in a club who always seem to cause murder and mayhem wherever they go. Fun story. 4 star.

11) Kitty's Zombie New Year
Kitty goes to Matt's festive party and encounters an unexpected zombie guest. 4 star.

12) Life is the Teacher
Emma decides it is time to go and embrace her vampire side, feeding for herself at last when she gets sidetracked with a former crush. 3 star.

13) You're on the Air
Jake is the nerdy vampire working night shift at the Speedy Mart when he suddenly gets the chance to play the hero during a robbery. Fun story! 4 star.

14) Long Time Waiting
Amelia is sentenced to death and her ghost prowls the prison looking for a new body to take over-and then she meets Cormac. Long awaited story of Cormac in prison. 4 star.

Overall a good mix of stories that gives more back story to Cormac, Ben, Amelia and Rick, along with a few fun Kitty stories!

Read September 2018  
4 stars.

18 comments:

  1. I don't read this series but I always love these kind of collections (I've read ones for Kate Daniels and The Otherworld)They always add a little more background and let you see other characters that are usually in the background.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read a lot of great Otherworld books and have all the anthologies. I've got the Mercy Thompson one as well which was good.

      Delete
  2. Glad most of these stories were good additions to Kitty's series. Strange that an apparently unconnected story was included though?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Tudor one wasn't really connected either but I liked it because it was a Tudor setting. The Daniel story was about shapeshifters in that era but it didn't greatly interest me compared to other stories.

      Delete
  3. I have a few Kitty books but haven't read any of them yet. I should give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me longer to write the reviews than read them...

      Delete
  4. I loved the idea of these short stories! I'm sure I'll be getting this at some point, maybe when I've finished the books so I don't spoil myself lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better to read the anthology after the series for sure!

      Delete
  5. Have to make sure I read this one too. I'm excited that this is a longer series as I'm sure I'll be loving so many of the characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The characters are the best thing about the book. You care about almost everyone!

      Delete
    2. That is saying something as I know how you feel about the connection with characters!

      Delete
  6. Interesting -- do you think it would help to read these to get a feel for the seires? It's been so long since i've read anything by this author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would read the anthology after reading the series as several would spoil events in the main series especially the last story.

      Delete
  7. I have to be in the mood for anthologies, but read a lot more of them than I used to.
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only read the odd anthology like this which gathers all the short stories written in a favourite series. Things like horror anthologies I avoid as I don't have time to plough through disappointing stories to get to the odd good one!

      Delete
  8. I like that you give each anthologies a little review and blurb. That is a great idea. I never thought to do that. I just try to give an overall review. I still would like to get into this Kitty series.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes it easier to review doing it that was than trying to talk about them all in one long review!

      Delete