Sunday, 6 January 2019

Out Of My Comfort Zone Book Tag


I saw this tag on Sophie's blog https://bewareofthereader.com/ and decided to take part. This tag was created by Emma at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kod0ZGDgqDY

RULES
You have to pick one genre that you frequently read, and then you can't use any books from that genre while answering the questions.

I'll be missing out my favourite genre of horror for this one!

1) A book that is an exception when it comes to genres or elements you don't typically like
I have little interest in stories with robots, evil corporations killing scientists or a lot of space travel and technology, but when I read Martha Wells Murderbot Diaries which is WAY out of my comfort zone, I just loved it! Murderbot is a wonderful character, it was funny, it had action and good human characters.  


2) A book you enjoyed from a genre you previously held some stigma against 
Despite liking LOTR as a kid, I never took to fantasy as a genre, preferring horror. However after becoming addicted to Game of Thrones on TV, I just had to read the George RR Martin books and I love them! If all the fantasy books I read were so good, I'd be reading a lot more in the genre for sure! 


3) A book you didn't know was out of your comfort zone until you started reading it
I wouldn't say it ended up outside my comfort zone but I read this based on loving the Game of Thrones series but found it to be the kind of fantasy that I don't enjoy at all. Yes it was the same world but I didn't take to the different characters, the slowness of the plot and the fact that little happened. It really didn't suit me at all. 


4) Pick a friend who motivates you to pick up books you might not normally be interested in-is there a book they convinced you to give a try
I pick up ideas for books in my favourite genres from quite a few people. There are also a few bloggers that regularly feature genres like fantasy, SF, cozy mysteries, thrillers and other things that I don't usually read. Here are a few examples...

Barb-I've read a few cozy mysteries featuring dogs after seeing them on her blog! 
http://bookertsfarm.blogspot.com/ 
Mogsy-I read Murderbot based on a book review on this site and it is great for SF and fantasy
https://bibliosanctum.com/ 
Greg-I've picked up a few SF, thrillers and YA from seeing them on his blog 
http://gregsbookhaven.blogspot.com/ 
Sarah-Wide range of non fiction I've often never heard of on a range of subjects
https://allthebookblognamesaretaken.blogspot.com/ 

5) A book that is out of your comfort zone but you would like to read
There are quite a few fantasy and SF books on this list to read that I've seen on other blogs and a few thrillers too. Here are three of them. For the first one, I'm worried about trying fantasy humour but the plot sounds good. Six Wakes has cloning which I fear might end up too technical for me. While I like politics, political crime thrillers can be very hit and miss!


6) A book or genre so outside of your comfort zone that you'll probably never give a try
I won't read anything that is erotica, romance, western, contemporary. I don't like books with lots of sex, religious content, YA tropes or depressing topics. I generally only read the Tudor and Plantagenet historical periods. There is a LOT that I'll never read!


 

14 comments:

  1. I feel the same about fantasy. I haven’t really gotten into that genre because it has too many repetitive tropes, but there are a few fantasy books that I love. You’re not missing anything by skipping 50 Shades. It’s a pretty terrible book.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never read erotica so I was never going near this one! Fantasy is not a genre I'm ever going to love except urban fantasy. There might be the odd book I'll try but not many!

      Delete
  2. Great tag! I loved Murderbot as well! Kings of the Wyld was fantastic, I hope you'll enjoy it too!
    I will never read Fifty Shades of Grey either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah erotica and heavy romance just don't appeal to me at all! I'm hopeful for Kings of the Wyld though.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the shout out! I hope you like Six Wakes. I liked it but it has a lot going on and I had a few issues with it- it's got a killer beginning though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm concerned about the pacing of it and how technical it gets! I do want to try it though! I've realised that SF is a better bet for me than fantasy!

      Delete
  4. I'm the same about The Murderbot Diaries. It's not a genre I usually read but I really enjoy it. Even if I was a bit underwhelmed by the latest one.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've liked a few SF ones I've tried last year. I may dip my toes further into parts of the genre!

      Delete
  5. Yeah, I'll never be reading Fifty Shades of Grey either. Not my thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, I would really have to think a bit about this. And I completely agree about the 50 Shades garbage. I am not interested in that type of book to begin with, but what really makes me most upset is that the author took some fan fiction she wrote based on characters from Twilight and basically made a career for herself and made bank. BECAUSE OF HER FAN FICTION! Ugh.

    (And thanks for the shout-out. I'm glad I read books that are interesting!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same view I have of her that ripped off Harry Potter and various other things for that city of bones thing. It really annoys me! I'm always interested to see what you are reading!

      Delete
  7. I totally agree on your never to read pile. I like this genre but can't stand the thought of reading Fifty Shades. I also want to start the Murderbot series! I have see a few reviews for that series and a lot of likes for it. It is on my next to get list.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This year I need to tackle the few fantasy books on my shelves and get rid of them. It really isn't my favourite genre and I have a few to tackle. I'll branch out more into SF as I enjoyed a few of those last year!

      Delete