Welcome to my feature Chuckles Weekend Roundup where I will be looking at what books I've received, anything interesting I've done or bought or watched and other random stuff. I'll be taking a look back at what happened in my blogging world too, sort of like The Sunday Post that some of you do!
Please note that I'll be visiting your STS/SP as normal, but I don't follow or leave comments on blogs run by Google Plus, or DISQUS as I refuse to join something just to leave comments, and I won't allow DISQUS to follow new people, update my profile or post tweets 'on my behalf'. I am the only one who does that on my social media! I won't comment on any blog that makes me sign in using another account. Sometimes, I have problems leaving messages on blogs hosted by Wordpress-they try to block me because I deleted my account with them but I will persevere as it only happens the odd time!
****************
Happy New Year everyone and welcome to a new year at The Book Cave. I've been working hard on my reading over the last week and it feels so great to be back on target and enjoying my reading again. I've read four books since my last post and two of them were monster sized books that I started just before New Year and two others over the last couple of days. I'm feeling motivated to read which is pretty important after last year and the frequent slumps! The book ban is over and I picked up a few books from authors I like and a couple of political books for my collection. I'll keep some for next week! I look forward to all of them! I still plan to keep a careful watch on all the books coming into the house so I don't buy too much and wreck the work of Tackling the TBR which is a main focus this year!
This year for blogging, my main focus has to be on the backlog of book reviews that I need to catch up on and today was a good day. I did a mini review catch up featuring four books and tomorrow I'll be posting another one featuring some more. That feels pretty productive and I'm happy about progress on that task. My challenges have all been uploaded to the blog and I'm getting started on them, which is exciting. I love January! I always feel motivated with everything and positive about the book year ahead!
PAPERBACKS/HARDBACKS
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/37538106-in-search-of-the-lost-world
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/39803925-return-to-the-lost-world#
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/41012533-fear
Chuckles Blogging World
I finished off my Blogmas posts which were fun and got my challenges posted for the year ahead so things are getting back to normal. I've been working hard on book reviews and blogging ahead on my regular posts. It has been a productive start to the month so I'm happy!
Book Reviews
Excellent week for book reviews! In my first mini reviews I'm featuring The Last Wish, the Salechii short stories, I know what you did last summer and the screenplay for I still know what you did last summer. In my second I look at Generation V, The House of Lanyon, The Dark Net and Patriots.
Ernest Cline-Ready Player One
http://chucklesbookcave.blogspot.com/2018/12/book-review-ready-player-one-by-ernest.html
Jeff Menapace-Wildlife
http://chucklesbookcave.blogspot.com/2018/12/book-review-wildlife-by-jeff-menapace.html
Stuart R West-Demon With a Comb-Over
http://chucklesbookcave.blogspot.com/2018/12/book-review-demon-with-comb-over-by.html
Martha Wells-All Systems Red
http://chucklesbookcave.blogspot.com/2018/12/book-review-all-systems-red-by-martha.html
Martha Wells-Artificial Condition
http://chucklesbookcave.blogspot.com/2018/12/book-review-artificial-condition-by.html
Chuckles Mini Reviews Catchup
http://chucklesbookcave.blogspot.com/2018/12/chuckles-mini-reviews-catchup_30.html
Chuckles Mini Reviews Catchup
http://chucklesbookcave.blogspot.com/2019/01/chuckles-mini-reviews-catchup.html
Regular Posts
I went Around the Blogs as usual to look for good posts to share. Cover Love didn't happen purely because I forgot to post it-duh! and I didn't do a Top Ten Tuesday post. Can't Wait Wednesday looked at The Dust of Dawn and Books From The Backlog was Dirty Magic.
Around The Blogs With Chuckles
http://chucklesbookcave.blogspot.com/2018/12/around-blogs-with-chuckles_31.html
Can't Wait Wednesday
http://chucklesbookcave.blogspot.com/2019/01/cant-wait-wednesday-dust-of-dawn.html
Books From The Backlog
http://chucklesbookcave.blogspot.com/2019/01/books-from-backlog-dirty-magic.html
Discussion Posts
none this week-my brain was on holiday!
Book Challenges
This new section of the roundup is where I'll put the updates for the book challenges I'm doing this year to keep them all together.
January Reading
http://chucklesbookcave.blogspot.com/2019/01/january-reading.html
E-Book Eliminator
http://chucklesbookcave.blogspot.com/2019/01/e-book-eliminator-2019.html
Paperback Purge
http://chucklesbookcave.blogspot.com/2019/01/paperback-purge-2019.html
Chuckles Series Catchup
http://chucklesbookcave.blogspot.com/2019/01/chuckles-2019-series-catchup.html
Book Review Backlog Challenge
http://chucklesbookcave.blogspot.com/2019/01/book-review-backlog-challenge-2019.html
Alphabet Soup
http://chucklesbookcave.blogspot.com/2019/01/alphabet-soup-2019.html
Alphabet Soup Author Edition
http://chucklesbookcave.blogspot.com/2019/01/alphabet-soup-author-edition-2019.html
Royal Reading Challenge
http://chucklesbookcave.blogspot.com/2019/01/royal-reading-challenge-2019.html
Tackling The TBR
http://chucklesbookcave.blogspot.com/2019/01/tackling-tbr.html
Special Posts
The last of Blogmas was posted!
Blogmas #29-Top Ten Books of the year
http://chucklesbookcave.blogspot.com/2018/12/blogmas-29-top-ten-books-of-year-2018.html
Blogmas #30-Best Teams
http://chucklesbookcave.blogspot.com/2018/12/blogmas-30-best-teams-2018.html
Blogmas #31-Books That Disappointed
http://chucklesbookcave.blogspot.com/2018/12/blogmas-31-books-that-disappointed-2018.html
Film & TV Reviews
I continued watching the darts and Big Bash cricket and catching up on episodes of Top Chef Canada which I really enjoy!
Book Tags/Blog Awards
Naughty or Nice Book Tag
http://chucklesbookcave.blogspot.com/2018/12/the-naughty-or-nice-book-tag.html
Currently Reading/Up Next
A good week for reading! I read A Dance With Dragons part 2, finished Gameland from earlier last year, read Island Red and The Royal Marriages. Next up will be The Testing trilogy I think!







Man you had a busy week! You make me feel like a slug, lol.
ReplyDeleteIt has been pretty full on but I'm enjoying the motivated feeling!
DeleteI love the enthusiasm shining through this post! I love the start of the new year too. Every book seems to count for at least one challenge at the moment!
ReplyDeleteThis is when I try to take advantage of new challenges, new reading lists and lots of motivation!
DeleteSounds like you're off to a great start this year! :D
ReplyDeleteYeah, lots of reading and catching up with the backlog of reviews from last year's reads!
DeleteOoh Primordia and Primorida II- love those covers. Lost world type stories always get my attention. And yay for lots of reading- happy weekend!
ReplyDeleteI loved Fathomless, his megalodon book so I'm looking forward to his dinosaurs! I see a third book is out in the series as well!
DeleteGood luck getting your backlog of reviews done! That's tough work. I think my main goal is going to be to read more books off my shelf. The piles are getting a bit towering!
ReplyDeleteI've put a good dent in the backlog of reviews this month already, putting them into three mini review posts! The TBR won't be as easy to tame!
DeleteI have been trying to read more backlist, and so far, I am really loving all those books I ignored for so long. Good luck with all tackling your TBR.
ReplyDeleteThankfully I don't have to worry about ARCs and review books and can just deal with the books I own!
DeleteI do enjoy having a clean slate at the beginning of the year and working towards a new set of goals. It sounds like you had a good week and I am sure it was great to pick up a few books after going through a ban. Have a great week!
ReplyDeleteI've been reading a lot since the very end of last year and motivation is high! I'm keeping a reign on the book buying though!
DeleteCongrats on reading so much! I’m actually ahead on my Goodreads challenge right now, which rarely ever happens. I hope you like Fear. I’m still on a massive waitlist for that one. Have a great week.
ReplyDeleteAj @ Read All The Things!
I've done well with reading and deleting books this week! My numbers are on the slide! I hope to fit in a few of these Trump related books this year.
DeleteFor tackling my TBR, last year I tracked the value of the books I read vs what I spent, and as long as the first was higher than the second, everything was okay. It's a bit annoying to keep track of, but it's worked for me in the past, so that's what I'm doing instead of banning buying books! (I'm also only buying books from the contents of a savings pot, which only gets money from: a) £2 transfer whenever I go to the gym, b) rounding up to a full £1 for every transaction [so if I spent £2.67, 33p goes into my savings pot] and c) anything leftover from the last month's budget. It's a surprising amount of money, actually, and keeps me pretty happy!)
ReplyDeleteSounds like you've had a good start to the year, reading-wise! Keep it up!
That would be too complicated for me I think! I'll just stick with books in and books out! I seem to be doing well so far. Read 4 and deleted a pile that no longer interest me.
DeleteBooks in, books out sounds like a good way to keep the mountain from growing...is you can stick to it. I find that dard one clicking is irresistible. lol
ReplyDeletesherry @ fundinmental Sunday Memes
I certainly need to stick to it! Every week I must have more books going out than coming in!
DeleteHappy New Year!!
ReplyDeleteRight back at you!
DeleteI see you have been getting to a lot of book reviews. I am going to go and check some out. I am trying to play some catch up with my favorite blogs =). So don't mind me if you get a bunch of comments from me. Hope all is well.
ReplyDeleteMary
I'm trying to get as much of the backlog done as I can this month, then I'll only be about a month behind in reviews. By March I hope to be pretty much caught up!
Delete