The Annual End of Year Survey is hosted by Jamie at http://www.perpetualpageturner.com/
I'm not doing the blogging questions so you can find those on Jamie's blog.
1) 2017 Reading Stats
Number of Books You Read-201
Number of Re-Reads-5
Genre You Read The Most From-horror
2) Best In Books
Best Book You Read in 2017
I can never make decisions on one book. I read a LOT of five star books this year and these were the best three series.
Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love But Didn't
Meg was slow to get into the main story, dumb side plots, annoying female characters and far too long to get to the good shark scenes. Hellbent was just a poor sequel with a dull plot and no character chemistry. Dinosaur Island was incomprehensible guff!
Most Surprising Book You Read (in a good or bad way)
I thought this was going to be a dull trope filled YA lovefest but I was very pleasantly surprised! Time travel, murder mystery with interesting characters and light romance that doesn't overshadow the plot.
Book You 'Pushed' The Most People To Read (and they did)
I don't push anyone into reading anything or recommend things as such. I just review and talk about my favourites and those visiting the blog can decide if they like the sound of it. However, a few seem to have been tempted by Nicholas Sansbury Smith's Extinction series and Michael Stephen Fuchs Arisen series which I love. I think a few have picked up various apocalypse books I've read too but I don't think anyone had read any of them yet!
Best Series You Started in 2017
I think it just has to be this one...
Best Sequel of 2017
This one was just brilliant!
Best Series Ender of 2017
I only read a couple of series enders this year (and have lots planned for next year) but this had a satisfying ending but room for more stories...
Favourite New Author You Discovered in 2017
Hunter Shea, George RR Martin and Mike Kraus!
Best Book From A Genre You Don't Typically Read/Was Out Of Your Comfort Zone
Thanks to a recommendation from Barb, Booker T and Cass! Pit Perfect is a fun cozy mystery with supernatural element and Envy of Angels was funnier than I expected.
Most Action Packed/Thrilling/Unputdownable Book of The Year
Michael Stephen Fuchs-Exodus (Arisen book 5) Tens of thousands of zombies attack the USS John F Kennedy beached in Virginia, and the crew battle to survive. It was mad and I loved it!
Book You Read in 2017 That You Are Most Likely To Reread Next Year
I have no plans to re-read anything I read this year. TBR is too big!
Favourite Cover Of A Book You Read In 2017
Most Memorable Character of 2017
Myrnin from Rachel Caine's Morganville Vampires
Most Beautifully Written Book Read In 2017
Hmmm, with zombies, sharks, apocalypses and monsters I don't read many beautifully written! I think I'll go with this as the nearest I can get!
Most Thought Provoking/Life Changing Book Of 2017
Sorry, don't read those genres!
Book You Can't Believe You Waited Until 2017 To Finally Read
Pretty much everything on my TBR...
Favourite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2017
"I lifted one foot from the brackish water and the bunny slippers were soaked and drooped pathetically. Even the fangs seemed robbed of any charm. 'Don't worry.' I told it. 'Someone will pay for your suffering. Heavily. With screaming.' I felt I should repeat it for the other slipper, in case there should be any bad feelings between the two. One should never create tension between one's footwear." Myrnin (Morganville Vampires)
Shortest Book You Read in 2017
Rachel Caine-Eve's Diary (3p)
Longest Book You Read in 2017
George RR Martin-A Clash of Kings (913p)
Book That Shocked You The Most
The plot of this terrorist attack book should scare everyone
One True Pairing Of The Year
Eve Rosser and Michael Glass
Favourite Non Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Fitz and Apollo, one man and his dog-Extinction series by Nicholas Sansbury Smith
Favourite Book You Read in 2017 From An Author You Read Previously
I've read her djinn series and liked it and this one has a lot of promise!
Best Book You Read in 2017 That You Read Based Solely On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure
I'm going to blame Laura for this as I'm pretty sure she switched me onto Hunter Shea!
New Fictional Crush From A Book You Read In 2017
Not into this kind of thing.
Best 2017 Debut You Read
Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year
Set at a historical dig inside the mountain during a blizzard, it's pretty well described.
Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most Fun To Read
It has to be the Sarah Andersen books! Not my type of read but funny and relatable.
Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2017
No book fits the bill this time round!
Hidden Gem Of The Year
I picked this one up to use in my Deep Blue Terror themed reading spell just because I saw it on Amazon and I thought it was a great horror read about eel hybrids attacking lots of people!
Book That Crushed Your Soul
No such thing!
Most Unique Book You Read In 2017 Eric S Brown-Crypto Squad A government team led by Hendrix loving Jimi the Mothman, with Agent Ness who is a sea monster, a team of Sasquatches, Mongolian Death Worms and other beasties try to stop apocalypses.
Book That Made You The Most Mad
I read a few apocalypse books that were sexist, racist and over the top political but it was the third part of a trilogy and the plot twist that infuriated me.
3) Looking Ahead
One Book You Didn't Get To in 2017 But Will Be Your Number One Priority in 2018
All of them??? Really want to get to these three quickly...
Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2018 (non debut)
This has to be one of them anyway!
2018 Debut You Are Most Anticipating
Can't think of anything not part of a series at the moment
Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2018
Sad to see this favourite series is ending!
One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life in 2018
Gain control of my TBR and buy fewer books *guffaws*
A 2018 Release You've Already Read And Recommend To Everyone
Haven't read anything still to be released as I don't read ARCs.





































201 books, you did great! And it sounds like you found a lot of good ones too. Envy of Angels and Wrong Side of Hell are both ones that I want to try.
ReplyDeleteI should be pleased with that total...pity about the mega slump over the last few months which could've got me to 250! I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the Wrong side of hell series-the first was a proper urban fantasy!
DeleteI love this survey so I'm gonna have to work on it for next week. Glad you enjoyed some of our recommendations. "Buy fewer books....haha." Good luck! And if you succeed, let me know the secret!
ReplyDeleteYeah buy fewer books...like THAT will ever happen! I think the secret to that would be getting rid of my computer!
DeleteThat bunny slippers quote is so funny. I have Ararat and A Clash of Kings on my TBR shelf, so I’ll be reading them next year.
ReplyDeleteAj @ Read All The Things!
I love Myrnin! There is something amusing about a mad scientist vampire who wears vampire bunny slippers!
Delete201 books WOW WOW WOW hat off Chuckles! AND LOOK AT EXTINCTION HORIZON! MY VERY BEST BOOK of 2017 is Hell Divers! And I was really liking EH [I had to put it aside to finish some ARCs] so I think is is safe to say Nicholas is now one of my Fav authors!! Can't wait to go back to EH!
ReplyDeleteOh I'm so happy you're enjoying it! I was worried you might hate it! Hell Divers is on my list for next year for sure!
DeleteThis is great! I love the mix of books that you mention in this post. I think you accomplished a lot with your reading this year. I hope 2018 is just as good for you!
ReplyDeleteI'm pleased with the reading total and the genre mix but I'm not happy about the slumps and lack of progress on my tbr. Still, there's always next year!
DeleteThe Kevin Hearne series is finishing? Huh. Maybe that's a good time for me to jump on!
ReplyDeleteYep! The last book comes out this year. I'm so looking forward to it!
DeleteIt looks like you read more of the type of stuff I like. While I do read the occasional romance, I usually only do if it's erotica or romantic suspense. I too hate insta love and whiny characters! :) I don't read contemporary either, New Adult is one I mostly stay away from, unless it's some kind of thriller like Vanquished by S.E. Green.
ReplyDeleteHave you read Matthew Reilly? You might like his stuff. To try him out, I'd suggest Great Zoo of China (think Jurassic Park with dragons).
I hope to get to the Kevin Hearne series this year, it looks good. I've read all the Sin Du Jour up to the newest, and I loved Future Lost as well. I love time travel and I'm glad it was about that and the mystery and not so much the romance.
Thanks for sharing! I'll have to keep an eye out on what you read. :) If you'd like to check it out, here's 2017 End of the Year Survery.
I'm so sorry, I found your comment in the spam folder today but have no idea how it ended up there! Matthew Reilly is on my list to read next year...I've got a few of his on my bookshelf and they all sound really good! I've got to catch up with Matt Wallace but I just have so many to get to!
Delete