Seeing Kermit surrounded and almost buried in leaves kind of reminds me of my relationship with books. I'm pretty much buried in them too! I have no more space in my house for the books I buy and piles are sitting on the floor which isn't good and I can't read them quick enough because I keep buying!!! I've battled to reduce the tbr without success this year but now Kermit and I are embarking on a new plan to reduce the book buying and give me a chance to reduce the tbr at last. The Plan? Download samples and read them and only go on to buy those I liked instead of grabbing everything!
This is what I read last week:
1) Jamie Davis-The Charm Runner
Winnie enchants everyday items with basic clean magic in her shop to help people in their everyday lives but now the government is passing a law to ban all magic except what they say can be used and Winnie only has hours left before her business is finished. Danny has no magic but wants to buy an enchanted shaving kit before it is outlawed and when magic enforcers come into the shop to harrass Winnie before it is time to close up, he steps in to get rid of them threatening with his family connections.
There was nothing wrong with this one but nothing in the sample really grabbed me. Winnie feels a little immature to me and Danny just gives off this vibe of being a bit of an ass and then there is his instant attraction to her that gets him to intervene to help her. Maybe I'm wrong but this feels like it is going to be one of those YA romances that really don't interest me between two characters that lack interest. Also I can't help thinking of those Winnie the Witch books I read as a kid every time her name appears in print! Like I say nothing wrong with it but not my thing.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35626585-the-charm-runner
2) Lisa Edmonds-Heart of Malice
Alice is picked up in a bar by Scott but by the time he gets her back to his car, he is attacking her. Alice is ready for him because she has been tracking him as a killer of women in ritual sacrifices to his demon father, and has a vampire issued court order to arrest him. Things go wrong and she is injured and has to kill him, reluctantly giving her information to supernatural investigators at SPEMA. Two weeks later, she is being haunted by a mage called Malcolm who like her, was a victim of a Cabal he was in. When he refused to do their dirty work they killed him but he and Alice are unsure why he is to haunt her instead of being enslaved to his cabal.
I actually liked the writing on this one and was interested in the mage ghst and what his issues might be. Alice was a kickass MC with what could be an interesting back story-faking her death to escape her family Cabal. However, upon reading a few reviews there seems already to be three potential love interests for her-the SPEMA cop who let her go after arresting her, a hot werewolf and a hot vampire. I can't stand love triangles so I'm afraid I can't waste my time on a series that could be full of that. Which is a pity as this had potential, but I hate love interests dominating a decent story.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34859192-heart-of-malice
3) Edwin Torr-Demons
Thomas Coffin is a specialist funeral director who specialises in dealing with newly risen vampires and zombies. This time he has two rookies to help him deal with a new vampire in the morgue but only one is of any use. Thomas is owed money for his services and considers not helping the cops until he is paid in full. His newest client reports that her husband has come back to her home as a zombie and appears to be obsessed with the garden shed.
The sample is not really greatly inspiring although I do like the name of the MC. It is set in London which I also like as I've at least been in the city. However, looking at the blurb again it mentions that his client is beautiful and mysterious which immediately puts me on the bad romance alert that seems everywhere in urban fantasy these days.I'm going to need to see a few detailed reviews of the book before I decide whether or not to go ahead and read it. I'm in two minds based on the Amazon reviews v Goodreads one.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35601649-demons
4) KF Breene-Born in Fire
Reagan is a supernatural bounty hunter who is being watched by shifters in case she steps out of line and can be reported to their Elf Bosses. She sometimes works for a government agency who are trying to hide supernatural activity from humans. Her latest mark is stolen from her by vampires and she wants to know why.
Sigh. Reagan is a complete and utter bitch who is acting like a right moron all the way through the sample. For example, she deliberatly scares her informer even when she isn't looking for anything from him, is told to behave in the bar but decides not to bother, and when her mark is stolen she goes barging into the office of her boss by kicking the door in and accusing him of going behind her back to give him to the vampires. She is totally obnoxious and can't seem to do anything without going over the top. I can't stomach MCs like this and I didn't even finish the sample. No thanks!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34341759-born-in-fire





Love the cover of Heart of Malice. Too bad it's got love triangles (ugh). Hate those.
ReplyDeleteI hate those stupid love triangles! They spoil every decent plot in these modern urban fantasy books!
DeleteSorry none of these samples inspired you to read further except for maybe Demons. But at least you're not out any money! :D
ReplyDeleteI think I'll wait on some reviews before I decide on Demons one way or another. Still a possibility!
DeleteHaha, I've got the same book buying problem! I keep buying books but I absolutely have no place left to stack them! It's not stopping me from buying new books though! :p Have a great week and happy reading!
ReplyDeleteI don't think anything will stop me from buying new books! It just isn't going to happen! I do need to get some photos up of my bookshelves in the New Year so everyone can see my problem!
DeleteI think Demons is one I would keep an eye out for. The world building sounds like it could be good.
ReplyDeleteDemons does have possibilities...
DeleteWhy do some of the crappiest books have some of the best covers? Is it a Murphy's Law I'm not aware of?
ReplyDeleteIt certainly is annoying when it comes to urban fantasy! In the UK we call it Sod's Law...that might be because we say sod it when things go wrong!
DeleteI've tonsa of urban fantasy here lately ;-) someone seems to be in the mood :)
ReplyDeleteI downloaded these samples months back...just finally got round to reading them! I'm going off UF...too many dumb tropes!
Delete