The Tag Questions (skipping the crush/ship question)
1) Best book you've read so far in 2020
If you take away my Harry Potter re-reads I've only had one five star read this year and it was a fascinating look at the career and political life of former PM John Major. He was funny, explained all his decisions and went behind the scenes of the big events during his time in office from ceasefire in Northern Ireland to upheaval over European treaties, from the first Gulf War to economic crisis. Much better book than I expected.
2) Best sequel you've read so far in 2020
I haven't really read many sequels this year other than serial novel segments and none of them set the heather ablaze! The one full length novel sequel that was great was book two of the Countdown To Armageddon series.
3) New release you haven't read but want to
Quite a few have come out that I've grabbed and want to get to soon. I can't wait to start on this one when the right mood takes me!
4) Most anticipated release for the second half of 2020
I can't wait to get my hands on this book as I really enjoy the author's work. It should have just been released but I need to wait for the price to drop to get a copy so I might not get it this year.
5) Biggest disappointment
I like political books and I expected this one to be looking at Theresa May's time in office, poking fun at her and opposition MPs over their mistakes, U turns and so on. But this book never stuck near to the events from the time, instead introducing talking plantpots (the only funny bit in the book), things that never happened and left wing bias that was really cringeworthy and dreadful to read.
6) Biggest surprise
The major players involved in the MP Jeremy Thorpe murder plot tell their story in this compelling true story. It was full of slapstick stupidity, crazy situations, plots and scandal, people that would be out of place as fiction characters, a shambles of an attempted murder and biased court case and cover up. At the crux of it was a tragic story of a young gay man who was almost murdered for having an affair with a rising star MP who feared for his career in 1970's Britain. And the book was brilliant!
7) Favourite new author
This is tough. I haven't read a lot of great fiction and most was authors I already knew, and a lot of the non fiction were memoirs that may not spawn any follow up books. I tried a few new authors whose first short offering I liked and who may have the potential to become favourites in the future. That is the best I can do!
8) Favourite new character
I have really enjoyed my first reading of the Paddington books (if I read them as a kid, I don't recall it). Funny, charming and such an adorable bear who always finds trouble!
9) Book that made you cry
I saw the Bradford Fire live on TV when it happened and also saw the police video of it when doing my football steward training and it was truly horrifying. Reading the accounts of those inside the stand was heartbreaking and it brought home how hard it was to get out, how quickly the fire spread. It was a moving book and so well written.
10) Book that made you happy
I've read a few with humour this year to cheer myself up but this was the best. I can relate to some of Jenny's struggles with her mental health and I learned that some of my bad habits might be related to my health which cheered me up, and the book was funny and inspiring and a bit tragic all at the same time.
11) Most beautiful book you've bought
This book is way outside my comfort zone but looking at how gorgeous the covers for the series are makes me want to love this!
12) What books do you need to read by the end of the year
A lot more than I've read so far! I'm mood reading so I'm not choosing any specific books at the moment. I want to get a lot more fiction read in the second half of the year.
The Chuckles section
1) How is your reading going this year?
Slow, to the level of a complete stop at times! This week has seen me back to reading every night and I really hope this is the way forward at last. Re-starting my Tackling The TBR challenge seems to have given me the boost this week to get going again.
2) Which genres are you reading the most?
I've read a lot of cartoon, children's books, true story humour and non fiction memoirs this year. That's a big difference from the usual. A lot of the books are short which suited my reading mood at the time.
3) Which genres do you want to read more of?
I really want to get back to reading a ton of horror as I miss my horror fix. I've grabbed a pile of books and novellas by horror authors I haven't yet tried so there will be plenty to try when the mood returns.
4) Any genres you can't face right now?
Apocalypse. In the middle of a global pandemic I just can't see myself being entertained reading about death and disaster. It hasn't stopped me grabbing the books for reading at a later date though.
5) How are your reading challenges going?
I've re-started Tackling The TBR which I launched in 2018 and that will help focus me again on reducing the hefty pile. This time I'm starting from a position where pretty much all the books I own are listed on Goodreads, giving a more accurate start total. My Goodreads Challenge should be completed this year-1'm at 84/100 but a lot were short. I hope to adjust my total up once I reach this goal and see how my reading is going.
How is your 2020 progress? If you're interested, please join in!
1) Best book you've read so far in 2020
If you take away my Harry Potter re-reads I've only had one five star read this year and it was a fascinating look at the career and political life of former PM John Major. He was funny, explained all his decisions and went behind the scenes of the big events during his time in office from ceasefire in Northern Ireland to upheaval over European treaties, from the first Gulf War to economic crisis. Much better book than I expected.
2) Best sequel you've read so far in 2020
I haven't really read many sequels this year other than serial novel segments and none of them set the heather ablaze! The one full length novel sequel that was great was book two of the Countdown To Armageddon series.
3) New release you haven't read but want to
Quite a few have come out that I've grabbed and want to get to soon. I can't wait to start on this one when the right mood takes me!
4) Most anticipated release for the second half of 2020
I can't wait to get my hands on this book as I really enjoy the author's work. It should have just been released but I need to wait for the price to drop to get a copy so I might not get it this year.
5) Biggest disappointment
I like political books and I expected this one to be looking at Theresa May's time in office, poking fun at her and opposition MPs over their mistakes, U turns and so on. But this book never stuck near to the events from the time, instead introducing talking plantpots (the only funny bit in the book), things that never happened and left wing bias that was really cringeworthy and dreadful to read.
6) Biggest surprise
The major players involved in the MP Jeremy Thorpe murder plot tell their story in this compelling true story. It was full of slapstick stupidity, crazy situations, plots and scandal, people that would be out of place as fiction characters, a shambles of an attempted murder and biased court case and cover up. At the crux of it was a tragic story of a young gay man who was almost murdered for having an affair with a rising star MP who feared for his career in 1970's Britain. And the book was brilliant!
7) Favourite new author
This is tough. I haven't read a lot of great fiction and most was authors I already knew, and a lot of the non fiction were memoirs that may not spawn any follow up books. I tried a few new authors whose first short offering I liked and who may have the potential to become favourites in the future. That is the best I can do!
8) Favourite new character
I have really enjoyed my first reading of the Paddington books (if I read them as a kid, I don't recall it). Funny, charming and such an adorable bear who always finds trouble!
9) Book that made you cry
I saw the Bradford Fire live on TV when it happened and also saw the police video of it when doing my football steward training and it was truly horrifying. Reading the accounts of those inside the stand was heartbreaking and it brought home how hard it was to get out, how quickly the fire spread. It was a moving book and so well written.
10) Book that made you happy
I've read a few with humour this year to cheer myself up but this was the best. I can relate to some of Jenny's struggles with her mental health and I learned that some of my bad habits might be related to my health which cheered me up, and the book was funny and inspiring and a bit tragic all at the same time.
11) Most beautiful book you've bought
This book is way outside my comfort zone but looking at how gorgeous the covers for the series are makes me want to love this!
12) What books do you need to read by the end of the year
A lot more than I've read so far! I'm mood reading so I'm not choosing any specific books at the moment. I want to get a lot more fiction read in the second half of the year.
The Chuckles section
1) How is your reading going this year?
Slow, to the level of a complete stop at times! This week has seen me back to reading every night and I really hope this is the way forward at last. Re-starting my Tackling The TBR challenge seems to have given me the boost this week to get going again.
2) Which genres are you reading the most?
I've read a lot of cartoon, children's books, true story humour and non fiction memoirs this year. That's a big difference from the usual. A lot of the books are short which suited my reading mood at the time.
3) Which genres do you want to read more of?
I really want to get back to reading a ton of horror as I miss my horror fix. I've grabbed a pile of books and novellas by horror authors I haven't yet tried so there will be plenty to try when the mood returns.
4) Any genres you can't face right now?
Apocalypse. In the middle of a global pandemic I just can't see myself being entertained reading about death and disaster. It hasn't stopped me grabbing the books for reading at a later date though.
5) How are your reading challenges going?
I've re-started Tackling The TBR which I launched in 2018 and that will help focus me again on reducing the hefty pile. This time I'm starting from a position where pretty much all the books I own are listed on Goodreads, giving a more accurate start total. My Goodreads Challenge should be completed this year-1'm at 84/100 but a lot were short. I hope to adjust my total up once I reach this goal and see how my reading is going.
How is your 2020 progress? If you're interested, please join in!












Nice job on your goodreads challenge. I filled one in for myself, but I think I set it at 30. Setting the bar so low makes it a low pressure challenge that I can change at years end :-D I think my "real" goal is between 100-150 and I'm on track for that. Thank goodness for manga.
ReplyDeleteYes I agree, my real goal is always a minimum of 150 books. I'd love to hit 300 in a year but have never got close yet and it won't happen this year! I am motoring this week because I'm targeting the Enid Blyton and Paddington books which I can get through quickly! They all count though.
DeleteI’ve gotten more into political nonfiction in the last few years. Some of it is really interesting! I loved Furiously Happy too. It might be one of my favorite books ever. Good luck with the rest of your 2020 reading!
ReplyDeleteAj @ Read All The Things!
I love political memoirs, behind the scenes of campaigns and elections, diaries of political figures. I'm grabbing a lot of Trump related books right now while I wait for a few UK ones to come down in price! Good luck with your reading too!
DeleteI don't normally read Apocalypse stories but I don't think I could read them right now either.
ReplyDeleteThis pandemic still feels too raw to be reading that kind of book. I'm still buying them but I'm concentrating on easing back into horror hopefully this week!
DeleteI can see why you wouldn't want to read apocalypse books when it feels like we're living one!
ReplyDeleteThe Clockwork Cathedral cover is awesome. It'd convince me to take a step out of my comfort zone too.
It's beautiful isn't it! The whole series is gorgeous so I really need to make it a priority when I get back into full reading ie non kids books!
DeleteI never thought a book by John Major would be exciting! But you’ve made it sound like it’s worth a read.
ReplyDeleteJenny Lawson is hilarious, I loved Furiously Happy, it was hysterical and heart breaking.
Hope you have a good week.
It was surprisingly good! I read books written by all sides of the political mix and it's the ones like this that can be such a surprise. The only bit of the Jenny Lawson book I never liked was that strange Australian trip. I really need to read the other one now.
DeleteI think the PAddington books look so cute! I think those would be fun. And apocalyptic books- same. I haven't been reading any, although lately I'm starting to wonder if they might be lighter reading compared to what's going on in real life har!
ReplyDeletePaddington is brilliant! I love his hard stares, his bright ideas which are always disasters and the physical mess he gets into with those marmalade sandwiches! They are fun short light reads to cheer up any mood!
Deletewhat a fabulous post. i know covid has affected my reading. a great selection of books and so many new to me ones.
ReplyDeletesherry @ fundinmental
I'm so glad I switched to read the kids books as they have been perfect light relief to get me motivated to read. I hope soon to mix in a bit of horror too. I'm aiming for a big week to hit my goal!
DeleteI need to do this tag and get to that new Murderbot book!
ReplyDeleteKaren @ For What It's Worth
I'll need to get my reading mojo to full throttle before I tackle Murderbot but I want it read before the end of the year...
DeleteGreat tag! I bet you really are looking forward to that Megan and Harry book. I didn't even realize there were Paddington books. Man, now you have me curious. I guess I knew there were but never really thought of them. I need to do this and actually always use dogs for the crush questions :)
ReplyDeleteSadly the book is still too high in price-I'm not paying £27 to get it right now! I never read the Paddington books as a kid which is a bit weird but I'm certainly enjoying them now! They are so cute and funny!
Delete