Monday, 11 November 2019

Chuckles Mini Reviews Catchup


I review everything I read, on my blog and on Goodreads. Most reviews are of a decent length but sometimes you don't have much to say about the book because of its length or you DNFed it or various other reasons. In cases like that it makes sense to write a few mini reviews in one post and clear them out your way! So lets catch up with some reviews from November!

1) Jeffrey Archer-Heaven
The final volume of Jeffrey Archer's prison diaries covers the period of his transfer from Wayland to his eventual release on parole in July 2003. It includes a shocking account of the traumatic time he spent in the notorious Lincoln jail and the events that led to his incarceration there - it also throws light on a system that is close to breaking point. Told with humour, compassion and honesty, it closes with a thought-provoking manifesto that should be applauded by the Establishment and prison population alike.

I can't tell you guys just how much I enjoyed these prison diaries. Archer writes with humour, sharing the events happening to him and the stories of some of the prisoners around him, especially the funny escape stories. He has finally been moved to a Cat D open prison where prisoners earn the chance to have work release out in the local community to prepare for life outside and earn money to be used for their release. I do admit that I was a 'lock them up and throw away the key' person but reading these diaries has given me a new perspective on rehabilitation and criminal justice. Archer makes contact with Doug in the medical wing, a friend of Darren from Wayland, who helps ease him into the cushy admin job before teaching him to be the hospital orderly. I am baffled by the rules of these prisons-Archer cannot eat any food sent in by well wishers in case it is laced with drugs and alcohol so instead the cakes are donated to retirement homes and special needs kids??? So it's ok for them to risk eating this stuff? Jeez! It was interesting to see which of his Conservative MP friends visited him too.

I am somewhat amused and baffled by the constant lies that the media are spreading about Archer refusing to work or obey the rules, sneaking down to the pub in town and being driven home in a Rolls Royce for weekends, none of which was true. The media incite the prisoners to try and get photos of Archer for them, causing many to lose their own Cat D status and get shipped out to other prisons. Surely the media should be be done for inciting prisoners to break rules or something? I was also shocked at the way New Labour's Home Secretary David Blunkett interfered in Archer's case for a minor infraction, getting him sent to the dreadful Cat B Lincoln Prison and having officers and governors leaned on to punish Archer harshly-which was very unfair given a tiny error from a model prisoner. Blunkett's note says 'I am sick and tired of reading Jeffrey Archer stories about the cushy conditions in which he was placed, the freedom he has been given, the opportunity to do whatever he likes and the snock that he is cocking at all of us'. Disgusting! First Blunkett should know not to believe everything he reads in the paper, something he bleats about when his affair with a married woman appeared in the papers, secondly ALL prisoners at a Cat D open prison have better conditions, the chance of work release and rewards for good behaviour! It shows the political bias from Labour and the more I read of them the more I regret ever voting for Blair and co. This was an excellent read-I just wish he had done a fourth diary on the final prison he was in.

Read November 2019
4 stars.

2) Myles McNutt-Game of Thrones 
In two parts, the book follows the story of the South, where kings and queens battle for the Iron Throne, and of the North, where the White Walkers and their army of the dead gather.

Covering all eight seasons of the show, this definitive guide is a must-have companion for every Game of Thrones fan.

• Filled with bold infographics and illuminating timelines
• Features original essays that unpack 8-season-long plot lines and character arcs
• Stunning photography featuring the show's characters

Packed with original art, photography, essays, illustrations, and infographics, this volume grants devout fans access into the world of Game of Thrones.

I LOVE the gorgeous cover with the shiny golden tree and the red leaves which conjurs up so many images of it in the series. The book is visually stunning with photos of the main characters, creative battle maps and other graphics. I liked the layout of the book with North and South, the focus on characters and their complex relationships as well as the plot of all eight seasons woven in. I would remind readers NOT to read the book unless you have watched the entire series as there are of course complete spoilers.

There are a few glaring errors in the text that really should have been caught ie Varys does not greet Tyrion in Pentos-he travels from King's Landing with Tyrion. Sam and Gilly don't visit his parents in Oldtown-they visit the family estate before setting off for Oldtown. These errors are annoying but I still very much enjoyed the book. It is a very good companion to the series which lots of photos to enjoy.

Read November 2019
4 stars.

3) Alex MacCormick-The Mammoth Book of Shark Attacks
Hundreds of terrifying shark attacks occur every year and this book collects the most exciting, breathtaking, and heartrending. From the 800 pound tiger shark that was cut opened to reveal a human head to the 69 year old man who jumped off his back dock into the mouth of a bull shark, these are the most gruesome shark tales. Includes an extensive introduction, listing of shark attacks, and bibliography, plus 30 line drawings of the most dangerous shark species.  

I have two earlier volumes of this book by the author, each volume expanding on what appears in the previous one. This book has finally become sensible enough to actually put the reports on the shark attacks into an order by date, making it so much easier to go straight to the new material that has been added for this edition. It also looks neater having all the attacks for each decade in a chapter, with year by year sub headings for the attacks listed. It sounds a bit twisted of me to say that I enjoyed the book-it is after all, a book filled with attacks and mutilations-but my fascination for sharks has been there since I was first scared by Jaws as a kid and I have a morbid interest in shark attack stories. I will look forward to getting any future volumes of this book in the future.

Read November 2019
4 stars. 

 

2 comments: