Tuesday, 5 January 2021

Top Ten Tuesday-Anticipated Releases

 Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.  http://www.thatartsyreadergirl.com/top-ten-tuesday/


NB: I don't follow or leave comments on blogs run by Google Plus, or DISQUS as I refuse to join something just to leave comments, and I won't allow them to follow new people, update my profile or post tweets 'on my behalf'. I won't comment on any blog that makes me sign in using another account. 

This week we have anticipated releases for the first part of the year and these are the books I'm waiting for! Some are paperback releases of books already out in hardback.

1) Alison Weir-Katheryn Howard (February)
A naive girl, thrust forward by her ambitious family. A pretty girl, who has captured the heart of the King. Katheryn sings, she dances, she delights in the pleasures of being queen. The King tells the world she is his rose without a thorn. But this young woman has a past of which Henry knows nothing. It comes back increasingly to haunt her, even as she courts danger yet again. For those who gather roses must beware of the thorns.

2) Patricia Briggs-Smoke Bitten (January) 
Centuries ago, the fae dwelt in Underhill. When they were cast out, they left behind their great castles, troves of magical artefacts . . . and their prisoners. Without the fae to mind them, those creatures roamed freely through Underhill wreaking havoc. Only the deadliest survived.I am Mercedes Athena Thompson Hauptman. My only 'superpowers' are that I turn into a thirty-five-pound coyote and fix Volkswagens. But I have friends in odd places and a pack of werewolves at my back. It looks like I'm going to need them.Now one of those prisoners has escaped. It can look like any creature it chooses and if it bites you, it controls you. It lives for chaos and destruction and can make you do anything - even kill the person you love the most. Now it is here, in the Tri-Cities. In my territory. It won't - can't - remain. Not if I have anything to say about it.
 
3) Jenny Lawson-Broken (April)
As Jenny Lawson’s hundreds of thousands of fans know, she suffers from depression. In Broken, she explores her experimental treatment of transcranial magnetic stimulation with brutal honesty. But also with brutal humor. Jenny discusses the frustration of dealing with her insurance company in “An Open Letter to My Insurance Company,” which should be an anthem for anyone who has ever had to call their insurance company to try and get a claim covered. She tackles such timelessly debated questions as “How do dogs know they have penises?” We see how her vacuum cleaner almost set her house on fire, how she was attacked by three bears, business ideas she wants to pitch to Shark Tank, and why she can never go back to the post office. Of course, Jenny’s long-suffering husband Victor―the Ricky to Jenny’s Lucille Ball―is present throughout.

4) Christina Henry-Near The Bone (April)
Mattie can't remember a time before she and William lived alone on a mountain together. She must never make him upset. But when Mattie discovers the mutilated body of a fox in the woods, she realizes that they're not alone after all. There's something in the woods that wasn't there before, something that makes strange cries in the night, something with sharp teeth and claws. When three strangers appear on the mountaintop looking for the creature in the woods, Mattie knows their presence will anger William. Terrible things happen when William is angry.
 
5) Gabriel Pogrund-Left Out: The Inside Story of Labour Under Corbyn (April)
From the peak of Jeremy Corbyn's popularity and the shock hung parliament of 2017 to Labour's humbling in 2019 and the election of Keir Starmer, Left Out draws on unrivalled access throughout the party and to both leaders' inner circles to provide a blistering narrative exposé of the Labour Party during one of the most tumultuous and significant episodes in its history.
 
6) Jason Fox-Life Under Fire (April)
Drawing on the practices of the British military and the techniques he has developed during his career, ex-Special Forces Sergeant Jason Fox shows how anyone can build the strength of mind and the resilience of an elite soldier.
 
7) Ollie Ollerton-Battle Ready (March)
Ex-Special Forces soldier Ollie Ollerton knows more than his fair share about keeping going. As a recruit he survived the infamously tough SAS selection process on a busted ankle with the Directing Staff pleading with him to give up. But it's in Ollie's personal life that he really had to dig deep. At his lowest he was battling a failed relationship, substance abuse, depression and a reckless disregard for his own life. In his new book Ollie tells the story of how he turned his life around and passes on the lessons he has learned.
 
8) Martha Wells-Network Effect (March)
You know that feeling when you’re at work, and you’ve had enough of people, and then the boss walks in with yet another job that needs to be done right this second or the world will end, but all you want to do is go home and binge your favorite shows? And you're a sentient murder machine programmed for destruction? Congratulations, you're Murderbot.
 
9) Suzanne Collins-The Ballard Of Songbirds and Snakes (June)
It is the morning of the reaping that will kick off the tenth annual Hunger Games. In the Capital, eighteen-year-old Coriolanus Snow is preparing for his one shot at glory as a mentor in the Games. The once-mighty house of Snow has fallen on hard times, its fate hanging on the slender chance that Coriolanus will be able to outcharm, outwit, and outmaneuver his fellow students to mentor the winning tribute.
 
10) Samantha Markle-The Diary of Princess Pushy's Sister (January)
Amidst a firestorm of fake news and media mayhem, Samantha Markle shares the truth about her life and family against all odds and ultimatums, as a royal fairy tale plummets from the tea towels. Sometimes the truth really is stranger than fiction.

14 comments:

  1. I really need to start the Murderbot series. I've only heard good things. And I forgot to mention it on my list, but I can't wait to get the new Henry book either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Murderbot is quite possibly my ideal 'man'. Socially anxious and devoted to watching TV...perfect for lockdown when nobody goes out...and he'll kill any psycho burglars that try to break in!

      Delete
  2. Near and Bone and Network Effect are on my high priority list for this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, new Jenny Lawson book? I need to read that. I loved her first two books.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love her stories about the taxidermy animals! That's my favourite bit of the books!

      Delete
  4. Christina Henry has a new one coming out? Cool! I love her books. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to finish her Black Wings series. I've still only read the first one!

      Delete
  5. The Jenny Lawson is on my TBR. I've really enjoyed her two previous books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny is so funny in her writing. I can't wait for the new book!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Reading her books always puts a smile on my face!

      Delete
  7. I'd like to read Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes too but I've been waiting on a kindle sale. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to read a paperback of it but that could still be a bit of a wait!

      Delete