Friday, 7 July 2017

Chuckles Chat #24 Things That Drive Me Mad About Children

Welcome to Chuckles Chat where great blogging minds unite to discuss the topics of the day mainly in the book and blogging world. I'll be sharing my thoughts on a topic and then inviting you all to share your thoughts. It's ok to disagree but PLEASE be respectful of each other's views! All of the comments on my blog are moderated and offensive posts ie racist, bigoted will not be published! 

This week I'm taking a look at some of those little things the general public do which drive me mad. I admit that I like to stay in the house as much as possible, reading, blogging or watching TV. One of the reasons for that is that The Outside World leaves me so stressed that I can't deal with it!

Take today. I was at a regular health check up with my doctor and by the time I got in to see her, I was already wound up because of the other patients. There was a woman there with a young toddler sitting near us and the second she set him down, he ran off towards the automatic doors, letting in a blast of wind and rain. She carried him back to their seat...and put him down again. He took off running for the doors again. She catches him, carries him back, puts him down, chases him...This went on for nearly twenty minutes and I swear she did the whole routine about thirty times plus we were all freezing cold with that door continually opening. I was grinding my teeth and I just wanted to jump up and yell right in her face 'WILL YOU STOP LETTING HIM RUN OFF!!!' Why can't parents just sit with the kid and keep a grip on them instead of letting him run wild??? He was also barging into tutting patients who were trying to take evasive action and not fall over him. And his mother was just grinning at him! Oh boy my temper was just getting going when the doctor called me in. A doctor's surgery is so NOT the place to have kids running wild! Grr.

The next place I hate being harrassed by children is in the supermarket. When I go in there I just want to get round quickly and get home again as I just hate the food shopping and unpacking it at home. So I'm already grumpy when I get there and I don't need mad sprogs and anklebiters running about mad and having tantrums. One memorable trip close to Christmas one year had me minding my own business and browsing the shelves when a kid of about seven starting grabbing things off the shelves and chucking them all over the aisle. Mummy finally looks up from her mobile phone and says (I kid you not) 'Damian, stop that.' and then ignores him and he just carries on. She said 'stop that' about ten times but made no move to stop him! I was getting wound up like a spring just watching this. And eventually I did lose the plot and snap at her 'get off your phone and sort out the bloody mess!!!' She was standing open mouthed and staring at me. There is no WAY I'd have let my child behave like that in public! The store detective was glaring at her too and she grabs the kid and was about to move away and leave the mess but he barked at her to get the mess cleaned up first. It beggars belief! Why have kids if you don't teach them about manners and behaviour? Jeez!

There seems to be this 'don't care' attitude amongst some parents. When I was a kid I had to tell my mum where I was going or be in sight of the window of my house or my friend's house in the same street. Now kids of four and five run wild in the street and nobody seems to care. A kid about ten doors away from us used to come up to our house and come down the path to play with our rubbish bins and I lost count how many times I chased him. Why do kids these days think that everyone elses gardens are their own personal playground? I do blame the parents for this lack of discipline. When I confronted his mother she said 'buy a gate to keep him out' and I came very close to headbutt territory. I told her next time I caught him I'd put him in the bin and leave him there and he hasn't been seen since. Obviously I wouldn't have done that but I put on my scary face and she believed I might do it...scary face is a useful tool sometimes!

But seriously why are so many kids badly behaved these days? Are the parents just too lazy or can't be bothered? The behaviour I see of kids in public is getting worse and it drives me mad! I really cannot stand kids, I admit it. I've never wanted any and I'm so glad I didn't have any! If I had though, I would've ensured that they had sensible discipline, and were taught how to behave in public.

Bah! You can understand why I like my Book Cave better than the Real World!

6 comments:

  1. I try really hard to be chill about kids, but sometimes it’s difficult. Cross-country plane rides with kids can suck. I once had some kids behind me who kept screaming, and kicking my seat, and bouncing around. The parents were trying to calm them down, but three hours of hyper kids in a confined space is hard to take.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't greatly enjoy flying and having a little snotnose like that behind me would drive me nuts! I couldn't sit quietly...I've have to make it clear I wasn't happy!

      Delete
  2. I know this sounds mean but some people should not breed. Many kids behave badly because their parents let it happen and make excuses for their kids so that they don't ever have to face consequences. They grow up to be entitled brats. My kids were usually good when out in public but when they weren't I'd drop everything and leave. After doing that a time or two they learned they wouldn't get their way by acting like a monster. Now that they're older they've actually thanked me for it because it's helped them in the "real" world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see so much bad behaviour from kids and the parents just aren't interested in doing anything about it. It drives me completely mad! If I had a strop as a kid, my mum dragged me home. She never let me behave like that. And I hate seeing bad behaviour rewarded with sweets to shut them up...that is just setting a pattern where the kid knows he'll get a treat if he acts up. Grr!

      Delete
  3. So from the gist of your post, I take it your rant isn't really about the children but about adults and their crappy parenting, lol! Honestly, I feel for parents with young children, I do, since I have two of them myself. But I am also big on discipline and there's no way in hell I would ever let my kids run wild and be a bunch of rowdy, disrespectful troublemakers like that. I'm actually a little shocked at how some people can be so inattentive about their children. It's not even just the fact they can become a nuisance, I'm like, what about safety?! God forbid a child gets lost or in a serious accident because of their parents' negligence.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the title is a little misleading! I do blame the parents for letting kids run wild! All kids act up occasionally but some parents just put no effort into teaching them boundaries. Ugh! Some are too busy playing with their phone to even notice what their kids are doing! You're right, there is a serious safety issue there as well.

      Delete