Saturday, 8 July 2017

Chuckles Weekend Roundup


Welcome to my new feature Chuckles Weekend Roundup where I will be looking at what books I've received, anything interesting I've done or bought or watched and other random stuff. I'll be taking a look back at what happened in my blogging world too, sort of like The Sunday Post that some of you do! 

Please note that I'll be visiting your STS/SP as normal, but I don't follow or leave comments on blogs run by Google Plus or DISQUS as I refuse to join something just to leave comments, and I won't allow DISQUS to follow new people, update my profile or post tweets 'on my behalf'. I am the only one who does that on my social media! Sometimes, I have problems leaving messages on blogs hosted by Wordpress-they try to block me because I deleted my account with them but I will persevere as it only happens the odd time!
****************
It has been a great start to July on the reading side of things with Chuckles attacking the shorter books and prequels-8 novellas and 2 DNFs. It kickstarted me and hopefully the rest of the month will go well. The great news is that all were new-to-me authors and I plan to read on in four series based on what I've read so far (3 urban fantasy and one cozy mystery). That is kind of exciting! I've already grabbed the next books ready to read later this year. 
 
I've been a little slack on the blogging front, taking a few days to reply to all the comments but I'm following more blogs and trying to adjust to reading a lot more posts! Hopefully it will be better this week. I did have a bit of a mini splurge this week but nothing too bad. I just can't resist those brown Amazon packages! I can smell them coming out of the delivery van you know! Overall it has been a decent enough week.

DOWNLOADS:




 
PAPERBACKS:
 
 
 
 

Chuckles Blogging World:
 As I mentioned earlier, I've been following more blogs which means more posts to read and it has taken longer to reply to comments this week. I hope to have adjusted to the new regime better this week! I am still happy with my replies but I'm definitely not as good at time management at the moment! I don't feel I got enough posts put up this week. As usual here are my posts from the week. Just click on the provided link for each post and feel free to leave a comment. Comments are moderated so it might take a day or two to see it on the blog!

Book Reviews:
I managed to get a week ahead in book reviews but I do want to be further ahead than that. I'll try to get a few done today but Saturday is generally quite busy on the blog! I don't know why I struggle to get motivated to write them...I even take notes as I read to make it easier to do them but it doesn't seem to speed up the process! 
 
David Estes-The Moon Dwellers

Rachel Caine-Feast Of Fools (Morganville Vampires #4)

Rachel Caine-Lord of Misrule (Morganville Vampires #5)
 
Regular Features: 
I'm still three weeks ahead in my regular feature posts which I'm pleased with. This week on Cover love we had zombies from Keith C Blackmore, Top Ten Tuesday was about the Best Urban Fantasy Series, Can't Wait Wednesday featured a new Kevin Hearne release, Feed my TBR was about books on Anne Boleyn and I share with you the best blog posts on Around The Blogs With Chuckles.

Chuckles Cover Love-Keith C Blackmore
 
Around The Blogs With Chuckles

Top Ten Tuesday-Best Urban Fantasy Series pt1

Can't Wait Wednesday-Kevin Hearne
 
Feed My TBR-Anne Boleyn

Discussion Posts:
 Chuckles Chat this week was about badly behaved children in public while my Game of Thrones Gossip featured Margaery and Loras Tyrell.

Chuckles Chat-Things That Drive Me Mad About Children
 
Game of Thrones Gossip-Margaery and Loras Tyrell
 
Special Features: 
none this week
 
Book Tags: 
 none this week

Book Challenge Updates:
 With it being the first week in July, I take a look at my blogging statistics for the first half of the year, in coloured pie chart form!

 
My Goodreads Challenge total currently stands at 146/250. This was a GREAT week for getting books read. Happy!

TBR total of books I own but haven't read yet stands at 812.*sigh*No real sign of the pile going down is there...
 
Currently Reading: 
I've just finished Pit Perfect by Renee George which was enjoyable and starting on Nearly Departed in Deadwood by Ann Charles.


Next Reads?
SD Perry-Resident Evil: The Umbrella Conspiracy
 
Next Week On The Blog? 
Chuckles Cover Love features SJ Pajonas, Top Ten Tuesday features part 2 of my Urban Fantasy list, Can't Wait Wednesday features a new urban fantasy find, Game of Thrones Gossip features Jon Snow, Chuckles Chat looks at The Rapist/Thug heroes and Feed my TBR will be on the subject of sharks! There will be a Norse Mythology book tag too...
 
That's all for this week! Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to visit my blog and leave comments. You guys are great! 

 

24 comments:

  1. Honestly, I don't think you need to worry about how much you blog and comment -- you seem to be everywhere and posting all the time, it's great!

    And oooh, Norse mythology book tag... will have to watch out for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate your kind words Nikki! Thank you! I think I always want to get more done even when I don't really need to...I'm weird that way! Ah yes I need to get the Norse book tag finished and posted. Still stuck on a few answers...

      Delete
  2. The Loch sounds pretty great. I'd totally read anything related to Loch Ness. :D

    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always been fascinated by Loch Ness and the monster so this was a must read!

      Delete
  3. The Loch was fun - Alten does monster sci-fi so very well. Pulpy and sometimes worth and eye-roll or two, but action-packed and enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! I do like action packed. That should keep me nice and happy!

      Delete
  4. Wow, you’ve gotten a lot of reading done so far this month. I’ve mostly been reading kids’ books, so I’ve been plowing through books pretty quickly, too. I hope you enjoy your new books!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm moving on to ones closer to 200/230 pages now so things will slow a little I think, but I'm happy with progress so far.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you enjoyed Smooshie enough to continue on. The author has told me the third one should be out in August I agree about the sheriff. I had to add The Voodoo Dolls book to my wishlist because I love books set in New Orleans as well as anything with voodoo. You've kicked off your reading quite nicely this month and I hope you have your best month yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smooshie and Elvis were adorable! I liked a lot of the characters as well and it wasn't mega romance heavy. I'm happy to read on and see what happens next. I thought the Voodoo Dolls one might appeal to you!

      Delete
  6. Steve Alten's The Loch! He's like the master of monster fiction, that's a book that's been on my TBR for a long time!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see The Loch is going to be made into a film! That will do great things for tourism at Loch Ness!

      Delete
  7. The Loch definitely looks like one I'd like! I think I saw it here before. And yes bookish mail is the best! Shut Down and the Crypto Squad books look good too.

    Love the sound of your Norse mythology tag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm itching to read the Crypto Squad books but I can't until August as they aren't by a new-to-me author! I need to finish answering the questions for that tag. Maybe I'll work on that tonight.

      Delete
  8. Nice stack of books! Enjoy them :) And I'm glad it's been a great reading week and that you're ahead in reviews! That's awesome!

    Enjoy the rest of your weekend :)

    Amy @ A Magical World Of Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased to be blogging ahead-3 weeks on the weekly posts and 1 week on the reviews. I'd like to get more ahead on reviews but a week is good!

      Delete
  9. The Money Pit looks cute and different from your usual. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the covers of the cozy mysteries but never really found some without a ton of cats and romance! I couldn't resist a dog called Smooshie!

      Delete
  10. Great haul! I remember seeing Barb's review of The Money Pit and wanting that book. I have a really hard time keeping up with all of the blogs that I am following and it is so easy to fall behind. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly enjoyed Pit Perfect. I wouldn't buy them in paperback as I doubt I'd re-read them but I did enjoy the first and grabbed the ebook of the second one.

      Delete
  11. I have commenting issues too, but am always on the lookout for more to follow. I do unfollow those that change or seem to not fit any more.
    sherry @ fundinmental Sunday Memes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might need to cut a few blogs off the list-you're safe, don't worry! There are a couple who haven't left a single comment on this blog in the two months I've followed them so I think I might just cut those out and focus on everyone else.

      Delete
  12. That's awesome that you found some new series you want to read and that you found new blogs :-) I'm kind of just scraping by right now and returning visits to the people who visit me since that's easier on my arms.

    I've read hell is coming. It was good, but I didn't end up continuing this series. I'll be curious to see what you think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're doing pretty well with the blogging all things considered and I always appreciate you stopping by here when you can! I love the cover of Hell is Coming...hopefully I'll like it but you never know what you're getting with a new author!

      Delete