Saturday, 29 July 2017

Chuckles Weekend Roundup


Welcome to my new feature Chuckles Weekend Roundup where I will be looking at what books I've received, anything interesting I've done or bought or watched and other random stuff. I'll be taking a look back at what happened in my blogging world too, sort of like The Sunday Post that some of you do! 

Please note that I'll be visiting your STS/SP as normal, but I don't follow or leave comments on blogs run by Google Plus or DISQUS as I refuse to join something just to leave comments, and I won't allow DISQUS to follow new people, update my profile or post tweets 'on my behalf'. I am the only one who does that on my social media! Sometimes, I have problems leaving messages on blogs hosted by Wordpress-they try to block me because I deleted my account with them but I will persevere as it only happens the odd time!
****************
Another Saturday and the end of July approaches. This was a much better reading week. I deviated from my July reading list to mood read two short novellas which I enjoyed and it seemed to kick start me into a week of reading 3 further books I enjoyed and getting started on another. Details about that in my Currently Reading/Next Up section. But I'm feeling happy about my reading again which is a relief as last weeks pile of DNFs was threatening to put me into a slump! With a few days of the month to go I hope to fit in another book or two.

Thanks to everyone who took part in my blog survey! The responses you gave were really helpful and now I can go forward with the blog knowing that the things I enjoy posting most are the things most responders enjoyed the most. It also means I can ditch a feature I wasn't greatly enjoying posting as nobody had it on their favourite post list. I know where I'm going with the blog now and feel much happier about it! On the book buying side I didn't buy anything last week! Yeah I know, I'm shocked too! I do still have stuff to share that I found on my ereader that I haven't loaded on Goodreads yet...

DOWNLOADS:



GIFTS!
I mentioned what my dad had bought me as an early birthday present and they arrived during the week! Excitement! Still have no idea where to hang the things... 



Chuckles Blogging World:
I was slow in replying to comments again this week but I think I'm fully caught up except for yesterdays posts which I'll answer today. I did get to visit some blogs but didn't get time to comment as much as I wanted to. I'm not sure why time is getting away from me this month but hopefully I'll do better this week. The one thing I never seem to get time for is to go back to blogs I've commented on to see if there are replies. I've never found time to do this so I need to do better! After doing my request for feedback this week I've finally stopped stressing about my blog content and accepted that the blog is doing fine as it is. Thanks to everyone who took part, you were all really helpful! As always, a link is provided for each blog post from last week to take you straight to anything you missed. Comments are moderated so it might take a day or two to see it on the blog! Check out my Next Week section to see what excitement is coming... 

Book Reviews: 
I found no time for writing book reviews AGAIN which is just so lazy of me! I have decided that I'm no longer going to just wade through the reviews in the order I read them-I'm going to mix and match several genres from books read the last three or four months so the reviews posted will vary and not be all the same genre. Hopefully that might be more interesting for everyone. I will keep series reviews together where possible as requested. I did manage to do a few retro reads this week for a fantasy series.

Morgan Howell-Kings Property (Queen of the Orcs #1)

Morgan Howell-Clan Daughter (Queen of the Orcs #2)

Morgan Howell-Royal Destiny (Queen of the Orcs #3)

Regular Features:
I'm three weeks ahead in most of my Regular Features which I'm happy with. It's going to be a big help in allowing me time to go lurking on your blogs and watching some Masterchef Australia which I LOVE! This week on Cover Love I featured Kasey MacKenzie, I brought you the best of the bloggyverse in Around The Blogs With Chuckles, Top Ten Tuesday continued my look at the Best Urban Fantasy Series, Can't Wait Wednesday was all about the apocalypse which looks great. I decided to drop Feed my TBR from the blog as nobody featured it in their favourite posts and it was pretty time consuming! I also continued with my new feature where I share a few thoughts on book samples I've downloaded, called Chuckles Goes Sampling. In that I looked at River of Teeth, Veil Knights, Gambit and Bait.

Chuckles Cover Love-Kasey MacKenzie

Chuckles Goes Sampling

Around The Blogs With Chuckles

Top Ten Tuesday-Best UF Series part 4

Can't Wait Wednesday-Solar Storm

Discussion Posts: 
Chuckles Chat this week looked at the ups and downs of ARCs, while  my Game of Thrones Gossip looked at Joffrey Baratheon! I also reviewed episode two of my Game of Thrones Season 7 analysis and did an extra post on The Prince That Was Promised.

Chuckles Chat-ARCs

Game of Thrones Gossip-Joffrey Baratheon

Game of Thrones Season 7 Episode 2

The Prince That Was Promised

Special Features: 
This week I asked my regular followers for feedback on aspects of my blog

Book Tags: 
none this week

Book Challenge Updates:
My Goodreads Challenge total currently stands at 155/250. I read and finished five books, DNFed one which was boring me plus I read more book samples.

TBR total of books I own but haven't read yet stands at 804. *grimaces* I hope the sampling for the second half of the year instead of impulse buying helps. My total hasn't gone up in two weeks which is something!

Currently Reading/Next Up: 
 I read the first two Crypto squad books by Eric S Brown and the three I set aside last week to read this week-Amy Hopkins 'Dream Stalker', Simone Pond 'Hidden Sight' and Elizabeth Briggs 'Future Shock'. All three earned 3.5 or 4 stars so I'm pretty happy with that.I'm currently reading Erin Hayes 'Damned If I Do' which I hope to finish tonight. Next up I plan to read these books which should finish the month nicely:



Next Week On The Blog? 
Chuckles Cover Love features Mari Mancusi, Top Ten Tuesday features part 1 of my Urban Fantasy TBR list, Can't Wait Wednesday features Graveyard Shift, Game of Thrones Gossip features Arya Stark, Chuckles Chat looks at Bad Reviews. There will also be a Game of Thrones special post on S7 Ep 3 to enjoy and reviews of samples from my ereader!

That's all for this week! Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to visit my blog and leave comments. You guys are great! 

20 comments:

  1. Yay, I'm glad it was a better blogging week! And I love the covers for those books - hope the inside's as good as the outside :)
    Wow, nice gifts from your dad! Good luck finding a place to put them ;) Lol.

    Hope you have a great week ahead :)

    Amy @ A Magical World Of Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll take a miracle to find somewhere to hang the things! I just wasn't expecting them to be so big! Have a great week too!

      Delete
  2. There’s never enough time to do all the blogging stuff I want to do, so I feel your pain! Have a great week.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd settle for finding time to do a few book reviews! Time is not my friend at the moment!

      Delete
  3. It seems I'm always neglecting one thing to do another. Visiting and commenting means I have little time to visit and reply to comments on my own posts. LOL I find ways to work it out though. Glad you're finding some enjoyable books. Looking forward to your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what happened to my time management but things are a bit mad at the moment! The good thing was finding good books last week. It makes a big difference getting a few good ones back to back...

      Delete
  4. You haven't bought anything this week?! What, no bargains, even?! :P Hurrah for getting ahead a bit on posts -- I still need to do that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, no book buys last week! It was a bit of a miracle! This week a couple of books in series I follow are out so I guess I need to get them but no massive book splurges for a few weeks is an improvement...

      Delete
  5. Busy week - Demon Mirror has an interesting cover, and I've been meaning to read Morgan Howell for quite some time now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrote those reviews before I had a book blog so they are somewhat lacking in detail and I don't own copies to read aggain and write better ones sadly!

      Delete
  6. Yay for a good reading week! And I LOVE those banners. All of them are awesome but I find the greyjoy and Night's Watch ones particularly striking.

    Love the look of Paradise too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got another batch arriving this week so they'll feature on next week's post! Still wondering where to hang them!

      Delete
  7. Happy pre-Birthday! Cool gifts! It was a first for me to see Greyjoy. I keep flip flopping on how I feel about Theon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never much liked Theon and I hated him for killing Ser Rodrick but it was hard not to feel for him when he was Reek. I love his sister though!

      Delete
  8. I'm really curious about Death Magic. Love the looks of it. Those banners are awesome. Can't wait to see how you use them. I need pictures!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I managed to fit in reading Death Magic just as the month was ending and it was a decent enough read. I might read on in the series to see what happens next.

      Delete
  9. wow you dad is really cool! those banners are awesome. I hope you can post a pick after you hang them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad likes to feed my obsession which is pretty cool I reckon! I definitely want to get pics up of my bookcases and banners but I need to get it all sorted out first!

      Delete
  10. Love your new GoT gifts from your Dad! I hope you find the perfect spot for them. Yay on no new books. I will never catch up because I can't seem to quit adding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the next five months I think I need to forget the ereader and tackle the paperbacks to get some space back on the bookshelves. They are literally overflowing at the moment!

      Delete