Tuesday, 11 July 2017

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish in June 2010. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!  http://www.brokeandbookish.com/   

As the hiatus at TTT continues, I bring you part 2 of my Best Urban Fantasy Series. Enjoy!


1) Sonya Bateman-Gavyn Donatti
A hapless thief finds himself under the protection of a grumpy djinn who must stay with him until Gavyn achieves his life purpose. All Gavyn really wants is to get his mafia boss Trevor off his back, avoid an enthusiastic bounty hunter who wants to arrest him and stop the evil guys taking over the world...
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6611074-master-of-none  

2) Stephanie Jackson-The Reaper Within 
Mel is a reaper who sends trapped souls onwards and on each case she remains tied to the house until the ghosts are all gone. What seems like a simple case turns into something more dangerous and she can't leave. I loved the characters in this book and it was a light paranormal book with ghostly action and a bit of romance. Two books in the series.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18463683-the-reaper-within 

3) Patricia Briggs-Alpha & Omega 
When the son of the werewolf ruler in North America comes to her pack in Chicago, there may be a chance for Anna to finally escape from the brutal and violent Pack who have destroyed her life. There is an instant connection between her wolf and Charle's wolf but can she ever trust a man after all she has suffered? Great start to the series and you must read the Alpha & Omega short story before you read Cry Wolf or you'll be lost! Get the short story in Patricia Briggs anthology Shifting Shadows or PNR anthology On The Prowl.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22821635-shifting-shadows 


4) Jeaniene Frost-Night Huntress
Cat is a half human half vampire hybrid and each night she goes vampire killing in the hope of killing her father, the rapist who attacked her mother. But when she attacks Bones, a bounty hunting vampire, he offers to train her if they work together. Cat is feisty, Bones is a sarcastic Spike type character, their chemistry is great and there are lots of laughts in amongst the action. One of my favourite series.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1421990.Halfway_to_the_Grave 

5) Melanie Karsak-The Harvesting 
Layla returns to her home town and helps her grandmother prepare for disaster, just in time for a zombie apocalypse. With the town working together, they try to kill the zombies and block the roads. It is the arrival of mysterious strangers offering sanctuary on an island which divides the people and puts them in worse danger. I love this series! It starts with zombies but features other paranormal aspects and lots of action. Great characters!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/31675361-the-harvesting 

6) Kelly Meding-Dreg City 
Evie is a supernatural hunter, set up for the death of her team and murdered. A spell brings her back in another body with three days to solve her murder, why she was brought back and by who, and find out what happened to her team. I loved the range of monsters living in Dreg City and having a kickass heroine trapped in a body that limits her powers. Haven't read the rest of the series yet but loved the first book!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6257500-three-days-to-dead 


7) Judith Post-Wolf's Bane 
Reece is rescued from a werewolf attack by a gargoyle and agrees to use her hidden witch powers to help them stop rogue werewolves in a protection racket-pay or see a loved one turned. With help from a witch and a werewolf, Reece and the gargoyles set out to stop the rogues. This was a great urban fantasy with humour, action, light romance and great characters. Three in the series so far.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13502906-wolf-s-bane 

8) Kevin Hearne-Iron Druid 
Atticus is a druid being hunted by a mad Celtic God who sends creatures to kill him and his beloved hound Oberon has been set up for a murder he didn't commit. Fir Bolgs, ghouls, Indian witch, werwolves, witches and vampires help or hinder him in equal measure. Wonderful humour with lots of action and mythology. One of my favourite series especially Atticus with his chats with Oberon!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9533378-hounded 

9) Jaye Wells-Sabina Kane
Sabina is half vampire half mage to her family's disgust and they use her as an assassin. She is to spy on Clovis who seeks to unite all races against the vampires and the mages seek to persuade her to join them instead of her vampire kin. I liked this one as it had action, and quirky characters like Giguhl the demon in the body of a hairless cat who is addicted to the shopping channels! Good humour, good action.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6056520-red-headed-stepchild 

10) Charlaine Harris-Southern Vampire aka Sookie Stackhouse 
Sookie is a waitress who can read minds but when Bill the vampire arrives, she can't read his and it brings her relief. Locals girls are being murdered and her brother is chief suspect so can Sookie and Bill solve the mystery? Great series with an MC you can like, great supernatural characters, action, romance and humour. If like me you didn't like the tv series, read the books as they are way different!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/301082.Dead_Until_Dark 

12 comments:

  1. I've somehow managed to read all the Sookie series except for the last short story collection. I'm super bummed that the actor who played Lafayette died over the weekend. He was one of my favorite characters from the show even if he wasn't in the books much. I've added Wolf's Bane to my wishlist because of the mention of gargoyles - they are one of my favorite supernatural characters.

    Have you read any of the Midnight, Texas series from Harris. I really liked them maybe even more that the Sookie books. Plus the series starts on TV later this month. Great bunch of books here and I know some of them sit on my unread bookshelf at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't like any of the characters in the Midnight series I'm afraid so I never got past the first few chapters! I was pleased with who Sookie ended up with as I'd hoped for that all through the series. I never liked True Blood...I despised Tara and Jason to the point of switching off the tv! I've got two more UF posts to add then a few posts of UF I've still to read so that should take me close to the TTT starting up again.

      Delete
  2. ugh what happened to my comment. Sorry if this one is a duplicate! Soooooo.... I said I have NO IDEA why I haven't read Briggs yet and that I LOVED Sookie so I asked you if I would Adore the books then? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No duplicate post appeared so I think the bloggersverse ate it! It's impossible to say if you would love Patricia Briggs or not but I certainly do. It'd be worth trying one book to see how you go. I'd recommend reading the Mercy Thompson series first.

      Delete
  3. Three Days To Dead is one I've seriously thought about reading, if you liked it that may be the tipping point for me to get it. I need more UF. The only other one here I've tried is Mercy- I read the first one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, several more weeks of TTT UF recs to come! I think you'll find a few to enjoy!

      Delete
  4. Of these, I have read Night Huntress, the Iron Druid Chronicles, and Sookie Stackhouse. Haven't gotten too far in any of these series though, so I have work to do!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try not to think about how big some of the series I followed are getting! Next month I need to pick a series or two and get caught up with them!

      Delete
  5. These are all unfamiliar too me... but then, I don't know that I've ever read an urban fantasy novel. It's good to know these are all recommended reads though. Thanks for sharing - and for visiting Finding Wonderland! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most blogs I visit that have a lot of YA paranormal on it, I've never heard of them too! I've seen a few of the more popular ones on blogs I visit but it's hard to keep up with genres you don't read!

      Delete
  6. You have a few of my favorites on your list and a few that I need to read. I love the Mercy Thompson, Night Huntress, and Stackie Stackhouse series. Most of the others are on my tbr list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems a lot of us like these three series and there is no doubt that each had great characters!

      Delete