Wednesday, 21 June 2017

Book Review: Devil Of The Forest by Brennan Beard


SOMETIMES IT TAKES AN ABOMINABLE THREAT TO AWAKEN THE MONSTER WITHIN…

Hailey Card is a tenacious young science journalist with big plans for her career, but when her magazine looks to attract new readers with stories beyond the fringe of established science, Hailey is sent to the mountains of the pacific northwest, where she’ll join a group of grizzled researchers in pursuit of America’s most notorious cryptozoological creature…

Three-thousand miles from her civilized New York life, Hailey’s skepticism soon turns to terror, and when she and the crew find themselves hunted by monsters both human and otherwise, all of Hailey’s city-slicker sophistication yields to the most primal of animal instincts:

Fight or Flight.


My Review:
You know how you see a book that talks about being a Bigfoot story but turns into the story of a whiny useless female instead? Yes, this is that book.

Hailey has convinced herself that she is going to get promoted to junior editor of the magazine, despite being in big trouble two weeks earlier for an article she wrote that upset some very influential people. She was so confident that she told the office gossip about it and now everybody knows what is going on when Hailey is called in to see the boss. Imagine her shock in finding out that the boss never even considered her for the position which embarrassing for her, has gone to her lover. She behaves like a complete idiot in the interview, protesting about it, whining, declaring that she believed she was right for the post and the whole time I was gritting my teeth and willing her to shut the hell up!

So instead, Hailey is being sent on a Bigfoot hunt with her scientific hero Preston, who of course is a repulsive, drunken, leering moron. She isn't interested in in but isn't happy when the airline stewardess is giving him preferential treatment and ignoring her. When she arrives at the place where the Bigfoot chasers are, she manages to racially offend one man and delares her intent to investigate them to see if they are charlatans, annoying everyone as you can imagine. She moans about being stuck in a backwoods place, whines about being asked to get coffee and excluded from further discussions, and is basically a pain in the arse.

By the time they are travelling out to the actual woods and getting set up ready for a monster hunt, 50% of the book was already gone and nothing at all had happened. It was very dull and I didn't even care enough to see if anyone died. I noticed that some reviews talk also about psycho drug dealers which makes me glad that I didn't venture on.

I couldn't say that I found anything to like about this.  

Read March 2017.
1 star.

12 comments:

  1. Oh no :( And the blurb sounded so promising. Sorry it was a dud and hope your next Bigfoot adventure is much better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was one of the most disappointing books that I read in March. My next Bigfoot read can't possibly be worse!

      Delete
  2. So basically I'm gathering this should have been titled "Whiny Brat in the Forest?" I'll be skipping this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what the title should be! To get 50% of the way through the book and have just her whining and no Bigfoot, it just wasn't acceptable!

      Delete
  3. How disappointing! I hate whiny females, too. And the fact that you didn't even care who died at the end speaks volumes. Hope your next read is better! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whiny females just spoil so many stories don't they? Grr! I don't get why authors write about dreadful MCs all the time! Thankfully after that one I've read a lot of great books since March!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the heads up! That blurb and cover are great and I probably would have grabbed it. If you can't find anything you like about it, I know I won't:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate books that promise so much and just don't deliver. You want to see your Bigfoot early in the book not in the second half after the boring life and woes of Whiny Girl...!!!

      Delete
  5. Guess that proves you can't judge a book by its cover. I like it, but I will sure be passing on it.

    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hated waiting half the book and having nothing happen! Ugh! Got another Bigfoot book planned for July so I hope it is way better than this!

      Delete
  6. oh wow what a waste of a great title then!

    ReplyDelete