Friday, 23 June 2017

Chuckles Chat #22 Scheduled Posts

Welcome to Chuckles Chat where great blogging minds unite to discuss the topics of the day mainly in the book and blogging world. I'll be sharing my thoughts on a topic and then inviting you all to share your thoughts. It's ok to disagree but PLEASE be respectful of each other's views! All of the comments on my blog are moderated and offensive posts ie racist, bigoted will not be published! 

Today I'm looking at scheduled posts and blogging in advance.

You know how it is when life gets busy and you are frantic because you haven't posted anything for two whole days and you just KNOW that all your blog followers are tutting about your utter lazyness and ready to desert you in droves like rats on a sinking ship for other shiny productive blogs instead as your precious blog starts to slide into blogger oblivion and you will be forever jeered online as a failure...

OK maybe not quite so dramatic but there are times when blogging gets on top of you because of illness, accident, family stuff, work issues and general slothery, and you do worry that you aren't able to post anything until you sort things out. It can get a bit stressful sometimes can't it and hey, we'd all love a blog break but we can't seem to find the TIME to do it...It feels like we don't have time to do anything on the blog yet we can't find the time to stay away from the blog either, y'know?

This is where scheduled posts and blogging ahead can be such a relief. If you have extra posts to dip into, you can post something on a day that is busier than you expected that you created a few days ago or longer. Having that safety net so to speak, can be really useful if an unexpected busy day hits you and you still want to post something. If you are ahead by a good number of posts, as soon as you start to feel ill, you can schedule the things to cover a few days, letting you crawl back into bed to have some duvet time to sleep and read and recharge your batteries a bit. And the great thing is, even technophobes like me can use scheduled posts without making a royal arse of things! 

Of course with such a great thing comes The Problem. In order to be ahead on your blog posts like that, you somehow have to find the time to write all the darn things and store them on blogger or wherever, ready for use. The disorganised blogger like myself can barely find time to write todays posts never mind get a whole weeks worth ready to go in advance! It's true, finding the time to get ahead can be a bit of a problem and it does require a bit of hard work but if you can do it, it is pretty satisfying and you can reap the rewards later. For example, two weeks ago I put a lot of extra computer time in and got five days worth of blog posts ready for the week ahead. It allowed me to take a few days off to read and relax, with two posts a day covered until I was ready to go back online and I so much enjoyed that stress free reading time! Of course the down side to it was that when I came back online I was five days behind on my blog comment replies and blog visits! Haven't worked out a solution for that!

So how DO you get ahead??? I can only speak for myself of course but the weekends are a quiet time for me so I use Friday and Saturday to start getting my regular posts done for the week ahead which for me starts each Sunday. I have a quick browse to decide which author will feature on my Cover Love posts and it's a very quick one to put together so I do that first. It is usually posted on a Sunday so within ten minutes I've got half of Sunday ready. I know what I want my discussion post and Game of Thrones posts to be about and I can usually get each one done in half an hour or less. So I immediately have one post for three days of the week covered, which is a great boost! Then I tackle Top Ten Tuesday which can take several hours to do depending on the topic. When it is done I have a post for Sunday to Wednesday covered and I look at completing book tag or special posts, before getting on to tackle book reviews. By the time I do that, I have most of next week covered. My Around The Blogs post is posted each Monday but as soon as I do it I start a new one for the following week, adding each new post link as I see it each day.

How do you STAY ahead though??? Having got ahead for that one week, I'm determined to stay ahead this time so today, Friday 16th, I've posted my last post from those I did last week and I'm working on posts for the week ahead so this will be my second organised week in a row! My advice is if you have a quiet day or your other half is reading or binge watching something you don't like, use the time to try and get some posts done. Every time you have a spare computer hour try and get a review or something done. Having that leeway does make blogging less stressful if you can do it. After all, blogging is meant to be fun and being ahead can make it feel less of a chore!

Do you blog ahead? Do you schedule posts?

18 comments:

  1. I try to stay at least a week ahead. I wish it were more, but a week is about all I can manage. I will be on vacation the week of July 4th and hope to at least have enough ahead that I can take a few days of computer breaks. I also don't blog a lot on weekends now. Great topic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A week is about as much as I could manage I think! I do hope to get a few reviews done this week and maybe have a day off during the week. Knowing my luck the day off will turn into more housework!

      Delete
  2. I wouldn’t be a blogger without scheduled posts. I binge blog and try to schedule at least a week in advance. My life sometimes gets busy, and I have to disappear from the blogosphere for a while. With scheduled posts, people don’t know that I’m “disappeared.”

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one down side to a few days off is catching up on comments and what you've missed! That is what I dread, falling really far behind!

      Delete
  3. I don't ever get ahead and general slothery is my problem. I currently have 9 posts blogged ahead for a challenge but I know myself and I'll get lazy now and use those up in no time at all :) I'm going to try not blogging at all on the weekends (not that I usually do!) and spend a little time visiting. I find it so hard to keep up posting, commenting an visiting. Ugh, I have no answers! Sorry, Chuckles. I'm useless. I just do what I can when I can and I hope I don't miss anyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get a bit ahead and think I have lots of posts then by the end of the week they're all gone and I wonder what happened! Slothery is a problem for me. I think it's why I'm on every day...sticking to a routine combats my personal slothery! I need to get good at staying ahead so I can focus on comments and visits. Oh poor Bark, you're not useless, just busy!

      Delete
  4. I schedule a lot now (didn't use to). It definitely helps and if I didn't do it I would not be able to post as much. I basically use the time I used to use for just goofing around or surfing the Web to work on the blog lol, and it more or less works. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still can't seem to find time just to hang out on Pinterest or stuff like that. I just seem to be busy every day!

      Delete
  5. I do quite a bit of blogging ahead. I'm full steam ahead, then I hit a glitch in life, and fall away from it. Then it's a mad dash again. LOL Like this week. I wrote a ton of reviews but didn't get the posts completely done. Those will be fill ins now. I use weekends to write reviews for requested and received books and to do my Sunday Post. Not much time on the blog as I like to get outside and read by the pool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've discovered that my Retro Reads are a great filler if time is short. You're basically copying and pasting a review that is already written. So if you see lots of Retro Read posts on the blog it's been a busy week here! I'd like to get more reading time during the day but it never seems to happen...!

      Delete
  6. Yes, I'm all about scheduling ahead! In fact, I've got about two week's worth of posts already written up and prepared to post, and I don't like fall behind much more than that. It gives me a lot more wiggle room to shift posts around too, if something new comes up.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh two weeks ahead sounds like such a luxury! I must try harder to do that! I'll be trying to get a pile of reviews written read and see how I get on.

      Delete
  7. I like the idea of blogging ahead but I just can't seem to do it. I do get posts formatted and almost ready on the weekends but actually write reviews the night before posting. In a perfect world, I would get ahead so I could take a day off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Weekend Post is one thing I never do in advance as when I do the formatting on it gets all messed up. It's a time consuming post but luckily some of my other posts can be put together quite quick. Need to get on with it later today...

      Delete
  8. I try to have scheduled posts for at least a week in advance. I the feeling of scrambling to get something together. For a while I had a couple weeks scheduled in advance but I've been falling behind a bit. For my weekend post I have it all ready to be filled out (with new books, life events, recent and upcoming posts,etc.) but I don't schedule it until the night before. I try to get my Top Ten Tues and Waiting on Wednesday posts written in advance tho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always need to get TTT done a few days in advance as it can take me ages to pick the books, depending on the topic! Other things like CWW or my Cover Love can be done pretty quick. Today I need to get started on a few for next week just to stay ahead.

      Delete
  9. I'd love to schedule ahead but fail miserably, most of my blogging at the minute is done on a Friday but its just getting peace and quiet to do it. I think some of us a natural schedulers and others are seat of the pants!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not easy for those with jobs and families to find the time to blog, let alone blog ahead. I'm lucky to have more time to do these things!

      Delete