Saturday, 24 November 2018

How Do You Solve A Problem Like A TBR?


Yes when I wrote the title I did get singing nuns in my head! I admit it! I've been trying to find ways to deal with my tbr for who knows how long now and the pile keeps getting bigger, not smaller. It doesn't take a genius to work out that you need this very complex equation for a solution.

Buy Less + Read More = Lower TBR + More Bookshelf Space


Yeah it's as easy as that huh! Well, Chuckles has decided to tackle the first part of the equation. As of next Monday, after the last of my Black Friday sales purchases have arrived, there is going to be a book ban. I will not be permitted to buy any paperbacks until after New Year *clutches desk for support*. Yes, 5 weeks of a book ban! I can accept free books of course and no Kindle books at all.  *sweats* It's the only way to get started on dealing with this chaotic tbr.

In the New Year I'm already considering other ways to keep it under better control. Maybe read 10 before I can buy a new one? Mini bans where I can't buy anything until I get a bag of books out to the charity shop? A two week book ban every month? Have you guys tried something like this to curb the buying or have you been doomed to failure?


Next is the Read More, which can be easier said than done for us when a big hairy reading slump comes along (above), or you are working overtime or a relative is sick or you have visitors, kids, pets to deal with etc. However, I don't have any of those distractions as my dad is house trained so I need to try and read as much as I can next year. I'm not going to do monthly targets for my reading as I always set too high a target and feel like I've failed when I don't reach it. Targets will be more relaxed from now on.

I'm looking at something like running a series catchup challenge all year where I start by picking three short series I want to complete then do it in my own time. After that I'll pick a few more series to tackle and so on until the year finishes. No stress, no panic, just getting through a few series throughout the year. Alongside that I'll be doing a paperback challenge. Again I'll pick a small number of books I really want to read across all my favourite genres, and get them read. Then I do another post with the next books I want to read and do that through the year. It means manageable targets and no panic about being behind on reading or a deadline to read it by, and space for mood reading. I'll do a similar ebook challenge through the year. This way I'm tackling all my favourite genres and reducing the tbr on each one without there being a set target in mind for book numbers. 

I will also be doing the Goodreads Challenge as it provides that handy graphic to see at a glance everything you've read but I'll set the target low then change it higher if need be as the year goes on. I'll be doing short individual challenges like Barb's Puppy Love and if I see other challenges on other blogs that interest me I'll consider them too. 


Now we get to More Bookshelf Space. Doing different genres every month will certainly help as my apocalypse, zombie, tudor, NF, politics, SF and thriller shelves are overflowing, meaning books are stacking up again on the floor. By reading a mix of genres each month I hope to free up shelf space for every genre in the first couple of months of the year. I'm starting this by continuing with SF reads in December along with some thrillers. Get a few of these read and to the charity shop and gaps will gradually appear on several shelves! That's the plan! It also means that none of my favourite genres will be neglected next year which means variety in the reading and the blog posts.

Do you have any plans to tackle the TBR next year?

20 comments:

  1. Yep, simply stop collecting books for a year will help. I know you aren't going that extreme, but seriously, it's the only way to be in control.

    My advice is to get a number that works for you as the top limit on your TBR. For me, that is 200-250. If I have that many books on my tbr, then I can't put any more on, period. Each month I revisit that number and if I have some space, then the next month I'm on the lookout for 10'ish books I want to add.
    With how I'm reading series now, I tend to go a couple of months and then add 20-40 books in several series all at once.

    I will say it takes iron control to rein in the desire to get "that" book because "what if I would have really liked it and I miss out?". Ignore that voice. There are a lot of books you'll enjoy, whether it is "that" one or another :-)

    So best of luck!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you! If I had the restraint, I'd do a book ban for a year but it would never be possible! 5 weeks is going to be a struggle but it's a start I guess! If I can get the pile down to about 250 I'd be happy as that is about 18 months-2 years of reading. Getting there is the problem!

      I don't worry about missing out on books that might be good as I only get the ones I really want and Indie authors tend to churn them out quicker and do multiple series which is a problem! I need to think up a plan for January though!

      Delete
  2. I was totally singing your title, so I'm not surprised you were as well. Good luck getting that TBR down to size!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear I wasn't the only one signing about Maria. I am forever on a book ban, which works well, because I am poor and cheap, but I can't resist the allure of EW and NG, and I have access to three eLibraries. So many books. I have seen a lot of people have success with the reward method. I have stopped pretending that I have an intention of reading the physical books in my room, but I have been working in more backlist on my weekly TBR, and am slowly reading some of the eBooks I own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to work on the physical books for a month or two then get stuck into the ereaders and clear some space. I'm not even sure what is lurking on there! I quite like the read 10 buy 1 side of things as it is an incentive to read more each month too.

      Delete
  4. I have seriously considered trying to go a whole year without buying books. I wouldn't even come close to running out of reading material and maybe I could allow myself a limited number of purchases/review books/library copies. My daughter told me that I was just setting myself up for failure (and I know she was right). I am back to thinking about trying to do something next year though. It is a struggle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A year book ban would really help me that's for sure as I could fit in up to 250 books in a year of reading plus DNFs. That would make a huge hole in the tbr. But with all the series I have that are releasing new books next year, it would never work sadly! I might try 2 week bans here and there through the year or the reward system or something. I haven't quite decided yet! Read ten buy one sounds kind of reasonable. Even read 5 buy one sounds ok!

      Delete
  5. Good luck! I limit my TBR to one bookshelf. When the shelf gets full, I go on a book-buying ban until there’s space for more books. I usually have 50-60 unread books because that’s what fits on the shelf. If I was rich, I’d have no self-control when it comes to books. My TBR is somewhat small because I’m broke.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just over a year ago I was worried about 800 books on the tbr and now look at the mess I'm in! I do sell a lot and trade to get my book budget higher but I also want to start saving money too.

      Delete
  6. I love this post!! :) I've been trying to cut back on buying new books and reading through the ones I already have. This is definitely going to be my main goal of 2019. I have far too many books I haven't read yet just sitting around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next year has to be Take Back Control year! I need to get that tbr down by a few hundred at least and stop buying all the books!

      Delete
  7. Well, I have no luck controlling my virtual shelf, but that's okay. I don't see it every day, like I do my physical book shelves. I try not to but, but sometimes I can't help myself. Good luck.
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm ignoring the ton of stuff on my ereader for the next few months and concentrating on the paperbacks! I think I'll need some luck!

      Delete
  8. I have an author that would love to use your name, chucklesthescot, in a book. Send me an email and I will send you her info, if you are interested.

    sherryfundin69 at netscape dot net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it would depend on how it is to be used-I'm not too sure!

      Delete
  9. LOL I thought of that sing immediately! I have given up on ever having a small TBR. I'm always adding even after knocking some off the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think 1200 is way over the amount I should have so I need to get it down for sure! Thinking it is one thing, doing it is another!

      Delete
  10. I have been on a book-buying ban for a few months now and have been mostly successful. The only books I have gotten my hands are from NetGalley, or gifts. It is so hard, but I am being good and only adding them to Goodreads and trying desperately to stay away from BookBub, and Amazon in general. And Half Price Books. IT IS SO TOUGH AND I HATE IT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I broke it on day one by forgetting that I'm not meant to be buying Kindle books! Stupid Chuckles! It was just a blip though! It was an email from Bookbub with a massive reduction on a book on my wishlist so I just clicked without thinking!

      Delete