Sunday, 6 August 2017

Chuckles Goes Sampling #4


Seeing Kermit surrounded and almost buried in leaves kind of reminds me of my relationship with books. I'm pretty much buried in them too! I have no more space in my house for the books I buy and piles are sitting on the floor which isn't good and I can't read them quick enough because I keep buying!!! I've battled to reduce the tbr without success this year but now Kermit and I are embarking on a new plan to reduce the book buying and give me a chance to reduce the tbr at last. The Plan? Download samples instead of buying!

This is what I looked at last week:

1) David J Normoyle-Fire Sorcerer
Rune escaped a childrens home and was sleeping rough on a property when a fire there killed two people. A crooked cop helped the charges go away, setting him up with a home and job as long as he does what he is told. The children of the dead couple target him with threats until he convinces them that he will help them uncover the truth.

The writing was decent and the story was intriguing, especially as the blurb mentions he uses fire-not very well. There is obviously more to the character of Rune than meets the eye but he does seem to be a bit of a smartarse, a bit immature and stupid. There is also the menacing figure of beat cop and gangster Connor Duffy who seems to be helping him but we don't know why. By the end of the sample, the story has been set up with the investigation into the fire but we know nothing about this power of Rune or much detail about him. We are kind of clueless as to who the people are, what they want, who Rune is...more information was needed. I think I needed more to make a firm decision on whether or not I'm going to read on with it. I might look for it going very cheap or a free promotion on Kindle.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32079995-fire-sorcerer 

2) Mae Clair-A Thousand Yesteryears
Eve and Sarah are going to sneak a look at the 'racy' poster of The Graduate in town and start to discuss their friend Maggie. Maggie has been home sick for days after a meeting in the woods with The Mothman, a legendary creature said to herald a disaster. They believe what she saw but as they talk, Eve gets a bad feeling about the traffic backed up on the Silver Bridge, and watches in horror as the bridge collapses, taking her father, and Maggie to their deaths in the icy river. Now years later, Eve has returned to the town to deal with her dead aunt's estate to be told that Maggie is waiting for her...

The collapse of the bridge is tense and well written, as is Maggie's encounter with The Mothman and I am very interested in reading more of this story. Legendary creatures like The Mothman fascinate me and I have previously read about the Silver Bridge disaster. I think I will read this one at some point!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28699392-a-thousand-yesteryears

3) AJ Newman-Cities on Fire
Walt and Jo are police partners who disturb a robbery. Her father-in-law is concerned at all the news on the TV about the Chinese currency replacing the dollar and Russia invading several countries, but his liberal son Bill doesn't believe it will affect them.

I can't stand Walt already. He calls Jo 'doll' which he knows annoys her, drives while trying to grab her ass until she threatens to report him and then he gets sulky claiming she used to like it. She responds that she let him touch her once when he got her drunk and it was a mistake. This guy is a gross lech. The dialogue is dreadful. The cops spy a potential robbery and Walt alerts Jo to it. her response is 'Damn you are right.' Uh really? They sit and openly discuss how much money they have in gold and silver at their table for the world to see and no attempt at OPSEC. If they are preppers they should know better than that. Bill is an arse who cheats on his wife and seems more upset that the families of the gunmen have lost their loved ones in the robbery than the fact they tried to kill his wife. The book constantly reminds you that all the sane characters are watching Fox News and the liberals are all idiots. While most prepper reads feature republican characters and right wing politics, this was overkill and way too much. Dreadful characters, the worst dialogue I have seen in an apocalypse book and poor plot development. I don't plan on reading anything else by the author.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34952120-cities-on-fire

8 comments:

  1. Now that the US is imposing a ban on Venezuela oil Venezuela indebted to Russia so much, and Russia warning the US not to interfere... Russia has been in my mind a lot lately, and not in a good way :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean. I watch the Russia and North Korea developments and wish I had a countryside cabin with a nuclear bomb shelter...I admit, I do have anti-radiation tablets...

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing these. They do help me to decide about books as we like the same kind. Cities of Fire is one I'll avoid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it didn't look great did it? The author gets a lot of stick for bad dialogue in all their books so I think I'll give them all a miss!

      Delete
  3. Ugh Cities on Fire- no thanks. FOX News- that's an immediate disqualifier for me right there lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I certainly don't worship at the altar of Fox News!

      Delete
  4. Oh no, Cities on Fire would make me mad as well! Ugh, I hate male characters like that..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The characters were so awful and when you added dreadful dialogue and over the top politics it was pretty bad!

      Delete