Thursday, 29 December 2016

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly: 2016 News Roundup


It's time to take a quick look back at a few of the news events that made the year in good ways and bad ways. I won't be writing about everything of course, and I won't be giving my opinions on everything. This is more of a small roundup but people are welcome to express opinions on the comments bit. Funny and interesting links are included.



There were two big political stories this year-British exit from the EU (Brexit) which led to a new Prime Minister, and the US Presidential Election. Lets start with Trump v Clinton which, lets admit, allowed the media to have a field day with their coverage. There were the Crooked Hillary and her email stories, and every offensive thing Trump managed to say along with the women lined up to accuse him of being a pervert basically. I loved this article at The Daily Sheeple which has a laugh at all the candidates and gives the election in fifty funny memes: 


http://www.thedailysheeple.com/election-2016-in-xx-memes_122016 


Yes I voted for Brexit and I object to being called racist for wanting my country to be run by our democratically elected government and not the faceless in Europe. I don't want hard working law-abiding EU migrants living here to be deported or a ban on all migrants. I just want the UK to decide who/how many can stay here, which criminals we deport, what our laws are, who we pay benefits to, how long we can jail people for, who we can trade with, who can fish in our waters etc. We ran our own affairs before the EU, we can do it again. I am hopeful of overcoming the challenges and seeing what the future holds.


On the brighter side of politics former Labour MP Ed Balls became the most popular politician in the country with his performances on Strictly Come Dancing. I loved this!




Lets move on to the highlight of the summer-the Rio Olympics and Paralympics. I loved watching both especially the cycling, gymnastics, athletics, diving, swimming and triathlon. So many great performances and beautiful scenery to enjoy! 


This year that were a lot of terrible terrorist attacks around the world, images which shocked and horrified the decent human beings amongst us. In the UK we are blessed to have an excellent security service who work day and night to foil plots but we are not immune to lone wolf attacks and I really do fear for the future. I don't think things will get better on that front in 2017. Wherever you live, be vigilant, report anything suspicious and be aware of your surroundings at all times. I have security training so every building I enter, I know where exits and toilets are and I do people-watch for anything that bothers me or looks suspicious. You can call me paranoid and at times I admit I am but it might save my life some day.


The Fake News scandal did not surprise me. How do we really know what is true and what is fake? Simple answer is we don't. I do read a mainstream newspaper online but I also read alternative news. I don't believe every story I read in either source but I like to look at what is there and make up my own mind. The alternative news does give some wild conspiracy stories but they do give you different topics the mainstream media won't cover. which is useful.

This was also a year of celebrity deaths. I'm not going to name all of them obviously, so don't be upset if I don't mention a favourite of yours. These are people whose death affected me most because I liked their work. David Bowie, Andrew Sachs, Prince, Alan Rickman, George Kennedy, Rick Parfitt, George Michael, Larry Drake, Carrie Fisher, Frank Kelly, Jean Alexander, Ronnie Corbett, Kenny Baker, Robert Vaughn, Peter Vaughan. 

And now their watch has ended.

 




There are others who could have been mentioned but I had to stop somewhere. Which celebrity deaths affected you most? I got the most upset over Alan Rickman, whose work I have loved for years and for Peter Vaughan who I loved so much in Game of Thrones. Finding out what an amazing human being George Michael was, was quite emotional, as people came forward to tell of his generous nature which he kept quiet while he was alive. 

I don't want to finish the year on a sad note so lets look at some very cute pandas to make us smile! Who doesn't love a panda?

12 comments:

  1. haha the cute pandas made me smile! Alan Rickman is the one that makes me the saddest. I've loved him in every movie I've seen him in. Now when I see him in those roles, I can't help but feel a little sad. 2016 was definitely a really bad year for celebrity deaths. I just heard that Carrie Fisher's mom (Debbie Reynolds) passed away the very next day. So sad. Here's hoping for a better 2017!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's always a good excuse for pandas! I felt so bad for Carrie Fisher's family, losing a mother and grandmother in two days. That didn't seem fair.

      Delete
  2. Nice post. The Rio Olympics were one of my favorite things of 2016, I always love the Games. Rowing is a favorite and I enjoyed it even though it was almost impossible to watch here (in the US since NBC didn't hardly deign to show it). I'll miss Alan Rickman, all of them really, but him most and carrie Fisher too since it just happened (can we be done with 2016 please????????).

    I hear you on security. I want to be like Jason bourne and know the way out of any place the minute I enter, can assess people's abilities at a glance and memorize waypoints on maps instantly. Gosh I love those movies. :) But seriously yeah I know what you mean.

    Fake news- is a problem in the US since so many people seem uninformed. I've had family members repeat "news" they saw on Facebook which is SO false it's amazing an intelligent human could believe it! I mean is a major politician REALLY running a child sex ring out of a pizza shop? SMH. But I do see the value of alternative news, you just have to be discerning I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Olympic years! I was glued to the TV all summer-now I'm knee deep in festive darts and cricket! We're lucky that UK TV love to show big sporting events. Now I'm waiting for the Winter Olympics which I love!

      That Fake News pizza story had me baffled as to why people would believe that! Like you said you need to use a bit of common sense and not believe everything you see. A fake BBC site was announcing the death of the Queen the other day and starting panic and Twitter meltdowns...it's ridiculous!

      I think I channel Jack Bauer when I'm out in public-I have more of the psycho in me!

      Delete
  3. I thought it was horrible when we lost Rickman and also Fisher. While I grew up listening to a lot of George Michael, anyone who knows me knows that Prince's death affected me the hardest. In fact, I watched Purple Rain again Christmas Eve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember your posts about Prince (was it really that long ago???) and how upset you were. George Michael did some amazingly generous things for ordinary people he didn't know, so that made his death even sadder. I still get sad thinking about Alan Rickman. Watching Snape die in HP will be even sadder now.

      Delete
  4. David Bowie got me the most, since he was my first crush ever in 'Labyrinth' and I have always loved his music :(
    Alan Rickman and Carrie Fisher made me super sad as well. I watched 'Rogue 1' today (good movie!) and cried my eyes out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked David Bowie's music a lot. One of our newspapers printed a sneering article about him just before he died talking about him looking gaunt and unkempt and letting his looks go, and I looked at the photo and was sure he was seriously ill. The paper didn't say sorry when they published his death.

      I think the sadness for Carrie Fisher will kick in when I watch the last Star Wars film she was in. My dad loved the film but I haven't seen it yet.

      Delete
  5. There sure were a lot of things that happened in 2017. I saw a bit of Brexit and the US elections on the internet. We'll see how it all turns out in the long term. Let's hope 2017 will be a great year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm annoyed about not seeing the Brexit coverage! The ones backing Brexit seemed to concede defeat so I went to my bed in a sulk and got up to find we'd won! I felt cheated! With such a crazy year you wonder what is coming next...

      Delete
  6. This has been quite the year. We lost a lot of celebrities - many were from my 80's childhood. I did enjoy the Olympics more than I would have thought this year but I am ready to move into 2017.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has certainly been quite a year. So many celebrities that I grew up watching. My two best friends loved Wham but one loved Andrew and one loved George so I had to cut every poster in half to keep them happy! It just feels sad now.

      Delete