Thursday, 20 August 2015

Book Review: Blood Slaves by NL Hoffmann (Daughters of Darkness #1)


Blake Noble is assigned by her superior, of the Supernatural Crime Division, to investigate the disappearance of his niece and to take down the Covert, a several hundred year old vampire organization known for abducting their victims off the streets. Things begin to go south when she begins to uncover truths about the people she loves.

After finding out she is the daughter of Lucifer and a famous vampire mother, she begins to use her newly appearing abilities to survive through the investigation. Between demon lessons from her father and falling for the Deputy Director of the Michigan, she attempts a nail biting journey to shut down the biggest secret in vampire history.


My Review:
Looking at all the high reviews on Goodreads made me wonder what is was that I blinked and missed in this book, as I thought it was pretty poor in every area!

I noticed with interest that the author mentioned having a proofreader. It might have been an idea to save some money by not hiring one as this book was riddled with bad spelling and grammar, strange sentence structure, weird punctuation etc. If this was the proofread version I dread to think what the previous versions looked like. It wasn't ideal but I can overlook things like that if I like the story and characters. In this case, sadly I didn't.

I didn't like the style of writing that was chosen for the book. It was full of short and robotic sentences, which lacked the descriptive detail that you expect to bring you into the story and the world it is set in. At times I didn't understand what the author was trying to say and it actually felt at times as if the first half of the sentences were missing and you were jumping in midway through something. There was no flow to the story and no depth to the world, with so little interesting detail give. It was all tell and no show and was poorly constructed! Things were left unexplained and at times you were scratching your head as you wondered what was going on. It was a struggle from the start to force myself to keep reading.

I felt that the book was just jumping around too much at the start and not letting things flow, which meant that I felt no emotional connection to the MC Blake. Character development was lacking from the start and it didn't take long for Blake to start getting on my nerves. It was also very slow to get into the story which does not help when you are already struggling with the book.

I couldn't honestly find anything to like or any redeeming feature. I certainly won't be reading the rest of the series or anything else by the author.
star rating photo: 1 star orange-1star.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment